Find end of instruction in asm?

Started by www.:).com, November 07, 2010, 12:28:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theunknownguy

Quote from: dedndave on November 07, 2010, 06:22:26 PM
nahhhh
we are assembly programmers!
we strap in and learn the ropes when we get to the outer atmoshpere   :lol

:lol you guys are so rude with newcomers...

Telling the poor guy instead of learning how get instruction size or their encoding go and check how the whole deal works for inside... Ye sure go learn how fetch on CPU work, uops, and why not, the execution units, pipeline, etc.

Yes... guys are scared to come and ask questions here  :lol

redskull

Learning to swim by jumping into the deep end is one thing, but being hell-bent on attempting an impossible project and ignoring the advice you ask for is something else.

-r
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government

theunknownguy

Quote from: redskull on November 07, 2010, 06:27:53 PM
Learning to swim by jumping into the deep end is one thing, but being hell-bent on attempting an impossible project and ignoring the advice you ask for is something else.

-r

Is it impossible? Caused it really takes a day or two to add the normal instructions + FPU and XMM... (I think he will be more than happy with that)

Dont say a guy what is impossible or what is not on his level, you only damage its confident on reach its goal... Instead of that you guys could use the experience you have on giving some snippets and he can start from there.

Sounds: George Michael - Freedom (Yes the guy have the freedom to take your advises or keep his idea)

www.:).com

theunknownguy, trying to understand your code and I read up on "movzx" -- "move zero extension" what dose it do with the zeros put them in front(01) or in back(10)?

dedndave

if he wants to learn about opcodes, there is no better place than the Intel manuals
i gave him a link to get them - i haven't been rude

MOVZX puts them "in front", or "above" in intel terms
if you have a byte value of FAh...
        movzx   eax,ByteValue
will place FAh into the AL portion of EAX and fill the rest of it with 0's
so, EAX = 0000 00FA h

there is another instruction - MOVSX
it sign-extends the value
if bit 7 is 0, it fills the remainder of the regsiter with 0's
if bit 7 is 1, it fills the remainder of the regsiter with 1's
        movsx   eax,ByteValue
EAX = FFFF FFFA h

theunknownguy

Quote from: www.:).com on November 07, 2010, 06:37:42 PM
theunknownguy, trying to understand your code and I read up on "movzx" -- "move zero extension" what dose it do with the zeros put them in front(01) or in back(10)?

I dont like to use partial regist operation, i hold everything on 32 bit REG instead of 8 bit. Of course if you like to use 8 bit reg (wich i dont see a reason why would you like) Just use MOV DL, BYTE PTR [EAX+1]

Quoteif he wants to learn about opcodes, there is no better place than the Intel manuals
i gave him a link to get them - i haven't been rude

No, not you dedndave you actually the less rude guy here...

I ment clive for this line:

QuoteThis might have been interesting years ago, but the non-linear code processing might stick a spanner in the works. Perhaps modelling how the instructions pair, assign to different execution units, pipeline, hyperthread, stall, select/retire registers, etc might give a clearer view of what's actually happening internally in a single cycle.

PS: Everyone give links, i give some snipets and the only thing left is you www.:).com start reading and then come with good questions

clive

Quote from: theunknownguy
I ment clive for this line:

This was some sarcasm on my part because I still fail to understand the connection between instruction encoding lengths, and two threaded execution.

My more broader point was that a super-scaler CPU is not doing one thing at a time, and using a 80386 mindset is not a good approach to modelling the CPU complexity.
It could be a random act of randomness. Those happen a lot as well.

redskull

Quote from: theunknownguy on November 07, 2010, 06:31:07 PM
Is it impossible?

The decoder is not impossible, but his proposed DOS-based thread handler is, for reasons discussed in the other thread.  After he was told this by several members, he simply brushed it off and started a new thread; apparently no project is too hard to have us help him do it, and that's what's really rude.  Maybe for his next project he'll do a 100-to-1 compressor  :toothy

-r
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government

theunknownguy

www.:).com

Quote from: redskull on November 07, 2010, 07:10:34 PM
The decoder is not impossible, but his proposed DOS-based thread handler is, for reasons discussed in the other thread.  After he was told this by several members, he simply brushed it off and started a new thread; apparently no project is too hard to have us help him do it, and that's what's really rude.  Maybe for his next project he'll do a 100-to-1 compressor  :toothy

-r

Yes, i did start multiple new threads, but for sub topics on my first thread one for the main topic and 2 others. Another one for instruction isolating in memory and another for moving the locations of that isolated memory.

tracyk859

Quote from: dedndave on November 07, 2010, 01:11:04 PM
that's about the size of it   :lol

if you are interested in this stuff, i suggest you have a look at the Intel manuals...

http://website.masm32.com/reference.htm
Such a very amazing link!
Thanks for the post.

Bye bye tracy.

dedndave

hi Tracy - welcome to the forum   :U

that link comes from this page, which is in the upper right corner of the forum page

Forum Links and Website

Hutch has put several other goodies there, as well   :bg

japheth

Quote from: dedndave on November 10, 2010, 02:20:36 PM
hi Tracy - welcome to the forum   :U

that link comes from this page, which is in the upper right corner of the forum page

Forum Links and Website

Hutch has put several other goodies there, as well   :bg

I guess you're replying to a spam bot    :bg

dedndave