MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

New GoAsm user and an observation

Started by blakkkrabbit, October 15, 2010, 12:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blakkkrabbit

Hi, new user here, not a bot.

GoAsm is sensitive to the type of line endings in a source file? Using Unix style EOL causes GoAsm to fail  :(

jorgon

Hi blakkkrabbit

Welcome to the forum!
Yes you are right - GoAsm expects line ends to be indicated by a carriage return character (0Dh), and line feeds (0Ah) are ignored.
Author of the "Go" tools (GoAsm, GoLink, GoRC, GoBug)

blakkkrabbit

Thanks for the reply, that explains a lot. Is there any chance of either being accepted in a future version or would it break something? Not having to worry about the input format would be nice (for work reasons my editor defaults to Unix/UTF8 no BOM)

jorgon

Hi blakkkrabbit

I'm afraid it would be a nightmare to change GoAsm to support linefeed-only EOLs.
GoAsm does accept UTF8 files (and UTF16 for that matter), but it does require a BOM as mentioned in the help files.

If you are stuck with using an editor which uses Unix type EOLs maybe your best bet is to create a batch file which runs a converter first to create a new file based on your source but with nice DOS-type CR/LF end of lines.  Then let GoAsm assemble the new file so created instead of your original source.  The line numbers in any error messages should be correct too.

There appear to be several converters available as freeware if you search for "Unix EOL" or the like.
Author of the "Go" tools (GoAsm, GoLink, GoRC, GoBug)

blakkkrabbit

Hi Jorgon,

No worries, Notepad++ handles various combinations of Dos/Unix/Mac EOL and UTF variants - the main issue for me is remebering to switch before assembling :bg

dedndave

it would be a simple little project to make a silent "inline" program that creates a file in the TEMP folder or something
you could even have it set a temporary environment variable to the path\filename for the assembly batch

jj2007

Here is a little converter. It expects file ending *.asu and writes *.asm