AMD64 Assembly (Win2k Driver for 64-bit executables)

Started by bozo, April 22, 2005, 05:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bozo

I recently got a new computer with an AMD64 processor and i was eager to start learning about the architecture.

The only problem is i prefer using Win2k than XP as it seems to be more stable with legacy hardware.
But i've read here and there that the only operating system so far that is going to support running 64-bit assembly is the
Win64 XP O/S which has not yet been released, or Win2k3...not sure about the latter.

Some guys on #asm channel, undernet thought it was odd i would want to learn anything about the architecture as
they think no one will bother supporting it.
Alot of people probably said that about 16-bit code too whenever 32-bit processors arrived, so those negative views
won't stop me learning 64-bit.
Its silly to say no one will learn about it, as it opens up new avenues in x86 programming, faster code being the main point.

Anyway, has anyone here started learning it, written any programs, what i'd like to know is what you use?

I've aquired a copy of ML64, but it doesn't support the PROTO/PROC directives, i've downloaded YASM but can't
build 64-bit libraries.

Is there any possibility of writing drivers for win2k that would allow for execution of 64-bit executables and 64-bit code
in general?
There must be a way of doing it, i'd be interested in doing something, if its possible.

I know it would require deep understanding of windows internals, but i'm sure it can be done.

bozo

I am going to look into this anyway..i think it is possible to write driver that will support 64-bit AMD code aswell as 64-bit executables.
That guy Vecna wrote some program which load Linux ELF on windows so this is what makes me think it is possible.