News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Larger font in Qeditor

Started by Magnum, April 28, 2010, 02:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnum

My eyes are getting kinda bad and I need a larger font in Qeditor.

I increased the font size using editor font, but the size did not get any bigger.

Is there a way to make the font bigger?

Thanks.

Have a great day,
                         Andy

donkey

Select <Edit> <Settings> <Set Fonts> click on the [Editor Font] button and choose a font with the size you want (I like Courier New) then click OK. I tried it here and it works fine.
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

MichaelW

It works for me, assuming I select a font that is scalable, and fonts like fixedsys, for example, are not.
eschew obfuscation

joemc

the best fixed width fonts are going to be raster (i.e. bitmap) fonts, which have to have a separate copy for each size or else it does not scale very well.  fixedsys only has size 9.  A unicode copy cat fixedsys excelsior is at size 12, though i have never used it.

Programming in a non fixed width font is definitely strange.
Programming in a non fixed width font is definitely strange.

GregL

Works for me too, I use Consolas and you can select the size and the weight.

BTW, if you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, Consolas is an excellent font to use for programming IDEs and editors. It is a monospaced font with a slashed zero.

Inconsolata is a font very similar to Consolas and it's free.

DejaVu Sans Mono is good too, and free.

MichaelW

Interesting, I was able to download Consolas from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=22e69ae4-7e40-4807-8a86-b3d36fab68d3&displaylang=en

And install it on my Windows 2000 system, which does not meet the Windows version requirements and which does not have any version of VS installed. The font works OK, and while I do like the slashed zero, it looks fairly ragged in the smaller sizes.
eschew obfuscation

GregL

MichaelW,

For Consolas to look good you need to turn ClearType on. Is that possible on Windows 2000?

I had successfully used it on Windows XP before with the download you posted.

Try Inconsolatas or DejaVu Sans Mono which are OpenType.

MichaelW

There is no ClearType under Windows 2000, and I am using a CRT. But within my experience with ClearType under Windows XP, all fonts look more or less ragged, regardless of the display.

If I select a 16-point size it looks good, just a bit too big.

eschew obfuscation

GregL

MichaelW,

Sorry, I updated my post after you posted. See the last line.

GregL

MichaelW,

16 is the point-size I use for Consolas in Qeditor and it's just right, I need a little larger font these days.  :lol

Glad to hear Consolas is working well for you on Windows 2000.

I see Windows 2000 supports OpenType, at least according to Wikipedia.

MichaelW

Thanks Greg, DejaVu Sans Mono in a 12-point size looks good and is easy to read.

http://dejavu-fonts.org/wiki/index.php?title=Download

A 16-point font is too large because in my display properties the font size is set to Large Fonts (120 dpi).
eschew obfuscation

GregL

Quote from: MichaelWA 16-point font is too large because in my display properties the font size is set to Large Fonts (120 dpi).

Ah, I see. That would be too large. I run at 96 dpi.

An interesting thing about Consolas is that it can be used as a Console font, it looks nice.

Using Consolas as the Windows Console Font

dedndave

that font does look easy to read - i may have to give it a try   :bg

Greg - that last link tells you that XP users may get Consolas by installing the latest PowerPoint Viewer
thanks for the tip

joemc

I like that font too
to download the font by itself visit http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=22e69ae4-7e40-4807-8a86-b3d36fab68d3&displaylang=en

edit:  not sure if i like it or not. may just need some getting used to. Almost looks like a child's handwritting or something. I don't recognize words (their shape as appose to reading each character) as quickly as other fonts.

oops you are suppose to have visual studio if you install it that way. i didn't read the whole page. Great link if you have visual studio.

the J is the strangest

dedndave

i wondered about the VS thing on that one
you don't have to "like" PowerPoint to install the viewer - lol
i get e-mails that have PPT files, from time-to-time
someplace, i wrote a program that extracts all the JPG's out of PPT's and Word DOC's

the font looks like someone that knew what they were doing took the time to actually "design" it to be easy-to-read
it may take getting used to, but i think it will be easier on the eyes after you are accustomed
what will be hard is, going to someone elses computer that doesn't have it