Any utils which can convert 8088 asm code to 386 code?

Started by latte, April 04, 2010, 05:36:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

latte

Hi all - 

I've found a public-domain compiler and linker with full source code ( the "BDS compiler" ). 
Unfortunately, the code is in 8088 assembly language.  So, I was wondering - does anyone know of any utilities which are able to convert 8088 code to 386 assembly?

Thanks in advance - bye for now -
- latte 

MichaelW

As far as I can tell the compiler is written in 8080 assembly language.
eschew obfuscation

tenkey

There are no converters from 8080 to 32-bit code.

There are converters to 16-bit (8086). Many years ago, there was a converter called XLT86.

But the resulting compiler won't be of much use without changing the file and console handling. The generated code won't be of much use without an 8080 or Z80 chip.

Yes, indeed. The BDS compiler was an 8080 compiler for a productive subset of C.
A programming language is low level when its programs require attention to the irrelevant.
Alan Perlis, Epigram #8

latte

Quote from: tenkey on April 04, 2010, 03:21:35 PM
There are no converters from 8080 to 32-bit code.

There are converters to 16-bit (8086). Many years ago, there was a converter called XLT86.

But the resulting compiler won't be of much use without changing the file and console handling. The generated code won't be of much use without an 8080 or Z80 chip.

Yes, indeed. The BDS compiler was an 8080 compiler for a productive subset of C.
Hi tenkey (and MichaelW) - thanks for your replies! 
Yep, I think I'll be leaving that compiler "as is".....  :)   
Bye for now -
- latte