News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

my new public software

Started by wook, February 18, 2010, 01:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hutch--

I used to use an unpublished compressor that used one of JIB's compression algos and it was easily the best on very small files but it was written before the DEP spec was introduced which broke most of my binaries so I had to rebuild the lot so I used Jeremy Collake's PEcompact as he knew what he was doing to maintain compatibility with DEP. I gave up on the UPX guys years ago with that rediculous licence they had and the capacity to unpack the EXE by anyone who wanted to hack the file and re-compress it.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

wook

here is something I added last night to rammgr.
I used icon and imagelist to show wolf logo.
it is not what I wanted but it fits allmost good as I wanted.

btw, does anyone have lib for loading transparent and semi transparent png images from resource and from file?

attached file:
piccolo cattivo

hutch--

Just had a look at this one and it looks good. Interface design is very modern and it seems to work OK.  :U
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

wook

Quote from: hutch-- on February 21, 2010, 03:16:23 PM
Just had a look at this one and it looks good. Interface design is very modern and it seems to work OK.  :U
thank you friend, but i will have to do lots of research on png format.

btw, i was thinking something about packers, how can i jump to my own address in memory? actualy, when exe unpack file, how would i know where is oep of that file(pe)?
piccolo cattivo

BlackVortex

Depends on the packer, but the oep usually stays the same (example:upx)

You generally don't need to worry about anything, the packer handles any relocations if needed.

wook

Quote from: BlackVortex on February 21, 2010, 06:27:02 PM
Depends on the packer, but the oep usually stays the same (example:upx)

You generally don't need to worry about anything, the packer handles any relocations if needed.
hehe, i was thinking to write packer :D:D:D:D
but it is far away from my knowing asm.
in python i would know, but it wouldnt be much packed coz of decompiling lol :D
piccolo cattivo

BlackVortex

Meh, it's too hard, unless you want to learn 100% the Pe format, the way processes get loaded/initialized, import table stuff etc.

Also, there is a limit to the packing that is possible. A light loader stub + lzma compression is almost impossible to beat without further sacrificing compatibility and speed.

If you want, post your non-packed executable and we'll test which compressor is the best. I'm a packing addict !

wook

Quote from: BlackVortex on February 21, 2010, 06:43:50 PM
Meh, it's too hard, unless you want to learn 100% the Pe format, the way processes get loaded/initialized, import table stuff etc.

Also, there is a limit to the packing that is possible. A light loader stub + lzma compression is almost impossible to beat without further sacrificing compatibility and speed.

If you want, post your non-packed executable and we'll test which compressor is the best. I'm a packing addict !
hehehe
nah, i was thinking to write some sort of masm32 packer.
yep, i know that i must learn pe 100% and to improve it every time it change...:S
well, if i could learn epoc, i can pe too :D
only, i have lots of problems with buffers....it allways mix text up...:S so i have to learn that in first place
piccolo cattivo

wook

how can i add bitmap to menu like on picture in attachment
and it would be nice if i would be able to add imagelist to menu, for hilited items without using static control to display graphic.
piccolo cattivo

jj2007

Quote from: wook on February 22, 2010, 02:49:29 PM

\masm32\examples\exampl05\menudemo\menudemo.asm

wook

Quote from: jj2007 on February 22, 2010, 03:12:09 PM
Quote from: wook on February 22, 2010, 02:49:29 PM

\masm32\examples\exampl05\menudemo\menudemo.asm

are you sure it is that, since i dont have masm32 on this comp, i cant check, but i want that peexplorer logo like bitmap :)
piccolo cattivo

jj2007

Quote from: wook on February 22, 2010, 03:22:46 PM

are you sure it is that, since i dont have masm32 on this comp, i cant check, but i want that peexplorer logo like bitmap :)

Hey, young friend, if you don't have Masm32, why are you hanging around in this forum? Go and do your homework.

wook

Quote from: jj2007 on February 22, 2010, 03:34:26 PM
Quote from: wook on February 22, 2010, 03:22:46 PM

Hey, young friend, if you don't have Masm32, why are you hanging around in this forum? Go and do your homework.
hehehehe, i dont have masm32 on this pc, i am in computer center atm :S ;)
piccolo cattivo

joemc

Not trying to be too critical but you asked for it :)

I would capitalize names. ex: the F in File
I would consider capitalizing the caption and tooltips as well.

If the X in the top right of the window is going to minimize to the tray, and there is no benefit to having multiple instances open, i would make it so if it is already running when you try to open it just restores the window. I did not realize this and was trying to look at your splash screen a few times and looked down at task bar and noticed 6 or 7 open.  Most professional or commercial grade applications will ask you the first time you click the X the way you prefer it to behave and have a check box that will prevent pop-up a second time. When you click the X at the top right and it minimizes to tray, than you right click tray, "hide" is enabled and "show" is not.  It does work after you click hide, than show. The fade away effect makes me think the application closed.  Maybe a different animation is in order if you think it needs it.

I would personally make it so the application still functions while the about box is open.  I am guessing you are using a Modal Dialog, though i am not sure because no source.

I would consider renaming "skin" to "Theme" as it seems more appropriate.
Menu's do not follow the rest of the app when you change a "skin"

The text in the menus could really use a few pixel space to the right to get off the bar, or left if it's intent is to overlap.

The menu itself could use a larger font, better vertical spacing, or a smaller bar.

When you change focus to a different application the red logo at the bottom of app lightens.  When you change back by clicking the title bar it gets dark again.  I believe this was intended. but when you change to a different app and than back to your app by clicking somewhere in the client area (or just using the task bar) instead of the caption bar, it stays light.  Than when you try to move the window it gets dark.  I don't think this was intended.   

The "info" button had me thinking i was going to get info on the process and not a third way to see splash screen.

Unless Windows Task Manager is not giving an accurate representation, it is only using 1/4 of the memory on XP than your application.  I think the GUI is great. I  think the probability I would load it instead of hitting CTRL-ALT-DEL is pretty rare.  You could always sue like Netscape did and say they are being anti-competitive by making so easy to load theirs, or look for features not available by Task Manager.

I think it is really exceptional and think it would be interesting to see the source code some time.

edit: I just noticed you did not capitalize in your post's either, are you missing a shift button? :) Win32 API functions must really stand out in your code.

wook

thank you very much for critics.
some of functions you talked about i implemented last night. i have intention to fix some already known bugs, probably change listbox, i will add lots of other features, but time is limit:)
i always use lowercase, but in beta i will probably add sentence case.
as i said, this is very buggy version and it needs lots of time till i get satisfied with it.

thank you for ideas;)

best regards
piccolo cattivo