News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Windows Explorer

Started by Robert Collins, April 08, 2005, 08:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Collins

When I use my Windows Explorer I always use the format that has the tree view of the folders on the left and the detail listings of sub folders and files on the right.

Almost in all cases when I open a application (doesn't matter which application, but usually VB or VC++, or some other editing program; even Notepad) and I do some input then save what I have done my Windows Explore loses its place and the next thing I see is all the folders in the tree view closed and minus their folder names (just the folders only) and also the list view now only shows My Computer. I cannot click on any folder or file because the system says that the folder or file has either been moved or deleted. I can close Explorer and bring it up again and everything is back to normal but it will occur again once I open another application. This doesn't happen all the time but it does occur alot.

Any thoughts?

Ghirai

Dump explorer, use Total Commander: http://ghisler.com :U
MASM32 Project/RadASM mirror - http://ghirai.com/hutch/mmi.html

sluggy

Looks like you might have a shell extension or BHO that is misbehaving. There are several anti-spyware apps that will give you a list of what is hooking into Explorer, including MS's Antispyware Beta.

pbrennick

I, also, use Total Commander.  It always ensures that the current directory is the working directory (which seems to be your problem).  Just for your information, Ewayne Wagner has a Norton Commander clone, also.  And it is has the ability to have a tree in the left pane and the files in the right pane (all in assembly).  Robert, you like to know how things work, why not take a look?

Paul

Robert Collins

When I installed a new Windows 98 OS I updated IE4 to IE5. The problem That I posted at the begining of this topic did not occur at any time during the time I had IE5 on the system. I kept constant tract of the system making sure that no files were added other than those that came with the 98 OS and those that were added as a result of upgrading from IE4 to IE5. Now, I just upgraded from IE5 to IE6 and again checked the system for addition files that were added as a result of this upgrade. All files in all directories were the same as before except for a few that were added as a result of IE5 to IE6. After installing IE6 the very first thing that happed is the Windows Explorer behaving exactly like I described in my first post.

However, the problem never occured when I upgraded from IE4 to IE6 a year or so back.

There must be a problem with upgrading from IE5 to IE6 which causes this strange thing to happen. Here is a chain of events that I did to this PC:

1) Installed Windows 98 and kept IE4 for quite some time - never this problem
2) Upgraded from IE4 to IE5 - no problem
3) Upgraded from IE5 to IE6 - problem begins
4) Installed a new hard drive
5) Installed Windows 98 again
6) Upgraded from IE4 to IE6 - no problem
7) Reformatted the hard drive
8) Installed Windows 98 again
9) Upgraded from IE4 to IE5 - no problem
10) Upgraded from IE5 to IE6 - problem starts again.

11) I rest my case.

drhowarddrfine

Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer are inter-woven and IE4 and IE5 are significantly different from IE6 internally.  So that explains why you are noticing differences but that's as far as I can go.