News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

GoASM in Games?

Started by Stroggos, January 20, 2010, 08:58:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stroggos

I want to learn GoASM to make a small Rogue-like game. I was wondering if anyone has done this before and if so how?

BlackVortex

First you learn GoAsm    :green

donkey

Hi Stroggos,

Creating games is a complicated process and is a lot more depth than you will find in a language forum like this one. Yes, GoAsm is perfectly capable of creating games, however depending on the game assembly may not always be the best choice. Games that involve intensive graphics or calculations (such as 2D and 3D mapping,collision detections or physics engines) are well suited to assembly, however those that have a larger text element might be better suited to a language that offers better string manipulation such as C. If you'd like to learn more about programming games in assembly, as well as collision detection, physics engines et al., you might check out a few of Homer's tutorials on the asmcommunity forum, it has much more depth than this forum.

However, you should know that developing a game of any level is a complex process to mix with learning a programming language. As BlackVortex says, work with GoAsm to create a few simple applications, you'll find that the time will be well spent when you get around to your game.

Homer's game dev blog:

http://www.asmcommunity.net/board/index.php?topic=29358.0

Edgar

<EDIT>Sorry I had no idea what the game Rogue was, I just saw it and its pretty simple, you should still try a few simple programs before tackling it though,</EDIT>
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

dedndave

Stroggos

Cool as long as it's possible.