News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

melt and welt stuff

Started by Gunner, September 30, 2009, 05:37:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gunner

ok gonna work on my babies again and want to make em better, so i need your feedback and recomemdations d/l from my page... its been awhile and unsure if the rad/winasm addins are there... you can check asmcommunity.net/board for the addins and other vers  oh Masm Error Lookup Tool and Windows Error Lookup Tool   thanks
~Rob (Gunner)
- IE Zone Editor
- Gunners File Type Editor
http://www.gunnerinc.com

Sergiu FUNIERU

Some feedback about the WELT:

These are my personal biased opinions. Please take the useful part of them.
1. WELT is a Windows ERROR Lookup Tool.
I would use an error icon not a warning icon.

2. There are some buttons with unclear purpose.
Each time I click on the yellow question mark I see a "Nothing to Show" message.

3. I like the "Make a note" feature and I also like that you saved the notes as plain text, using the error# as the name of the file.

4. The program uses a GRAPHICAL interface. I don't see a search button. I know I can press Enter, but I would like to have a search button also.

5. The Sticky feature is a nice one.

6. The custom maximize button (the arrow) is confusing for me. If I shrink the window, after I enter an error # and press Enter it expands back.

7. I would like to see a list with all the errors. Or, something like: "Please enter a # between 1 and x". I would also like a maximize button, in case I want to see the whole list.

8. I would like to be able to edit the list of errors, in an ini file.

9. I would like the search box to remember the previous searches.

10. It took me several seconds to understand if the error message "Incorrect function" was generated by the program because I did something wrong or because it was the #2 error message. I would put in the answer box something like:
Error #2 is "Incorrect function".

These are the first 10 observations. I wanted to keep the feedback shorter than program's source code.   :wink

Gunner

I value all feedback, good and bad.  Everything I write is for ME first, I needed to do something and wrote a program to do it, giving it to the world to help everyone out is actually an after thought.....

1. I like the icon.
2. The yellow question mark gives more info about the facility code which are related to COM errors.
3. Thank you.
4. I like enter.  Maybe in future version I will add button.. I like the clean interface though and, too many buttons ruin it.
5. Thank you.
6. That is the idea!  If the window is "shrunken" and you enter an error number, how can you view the description unless you "unshrink" the window, I do it automatically.
7. You want to see the WHOLE list of errors?  There are thousands I believe.  I had an idea like this on the todo list.
8. Edit the list?  Nope not here, why anyway, the errors are Windows error numbers internal to windows.
9. Possible.....
10. The program does not show any errors of its own, only error info that you type in.

Everything in the program is straight forward (well maybe not the question mark)  But remember, we are all programmers here and you can always write your own program  :bg  So give me your other "observations"  :P  Just like in my day job I cannot please all customers, I am not going to please everyone with my programs.  But hey, you can't beat the price!
~Rob (Gunner)
- IE Zone Editor
- Gunners File Type Editor
http://www.gunnerinc.com

Sergiu FUNIERU

>>> 1. I like the icon.
So do I. It's nice and shiny. But I simply can't associate it with the purpose of the program.

>>> 2. The yellow question mark gives more info about the facility code which are related to COM errors.
How about making it appear only when there is a COM error?

>>> 4. I like enter.  Maybe in future version I will add button.. I like the clean interface though and, too many buttons ruin it.
Well, the MELT has more buttons, and is still clean. I saw even the search button I wanted. It did search something else from what I expected, but it fit.

>>> 5. Thank you.
You're welcome!

>>> 6. That is the idea!  If the window is "shrunken" and you enter an error number, how can you view the description unless you "unshrink" the window, I do it automatically.
Why would I want to shrink something if I can't see it shrinked when I receive the message?

>>> 10. The program does not show any errors of its own, only error info that you type in.
I know that now. But in the first seconds it wasn't obvious.

11. I would like to see a version number.

12. I would like to have a possible explanation for the error, like you have in MELT 2.0.

13. I would like to see how to contact you, in case I want to make a suggestion (in case I got the program from a download site).

14. I would like to be able to minimize to (sys)tray.

15. A link to Microsoft site, for every error, where the user can see the feedback left by others who encounter it.
Yes, I know, it's a lot of work, especially when Microsoft changes links so often

16. How recent is the program? Where do I see that?

17. A link back to your site is a very easy way to get more downloads for the program.

18. Offer an incentive for feedback. Something like a "Thank you" item in the menu. There are simple methods to get more feedback, like : "Give me your feedback and I'll personalize your copy, by including the text "John's WELT" in the Windows title". I'm not talking about me or about other persons who will leave you feedback here. Your original post was on 30 September 2009, and now is 24 February 2010. Why I'm the first one who answers to this thread?

19. To what Windows version does the program apply? That is, do I see the error messages from Windows 7 or only from Windows 2000?

20. How about making the answer window editable? Maybe I'd like to add my note directly near the error message.

>>> Just like in my day job I cannot please all customers, I am not going to please everyone with my programs. 
I always try to please the beautiful women first. The rest of the customers can go to my colleagues - what are colleagues for, if not for handling the overflow?

>>> But hey, you can't beat the price!
I hope you are not planning to double it  :wink

hutch--

Sergiu,

Can you spare us the triple spaced postings, they make other peoples posts hard to read.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

Sergiu FUNIERU

Quote from: hutch-- on February 25, 2010, 07:47:17 AMCan you spare us the triple spaced postings, they make other peoples posts hard to read.
Sure. Sorry for that. I used that because, in the past, some people asked me to add more space to make the post easier to read for them.

I edited my previous posts.