News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

IDA disassembly is a mess

Started by ramguru, June 12, 2009, 11:19:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramguru

So I was wondering why I'm always getting a messy disassembly from goasm/golink generated executables. By messy I mean:
no WinApi names appear, & some code is interpreted as data (so I have to manually select Edit->Code). It wouldn't be a problem if it were 32bit code,
but for 64bit code I basically have only WinDbg as debugger & IDA as disassembler. I hope it can be fixed easily, like changing linkers parameters,
though I haven't studied this issue in deep yet.

Mark Jones

64-bit debugging is a mess, from my limited experience.

Also, try fdbg. It will only debug 64-bit apps, but it has some nice features. I'm waiting for OllyDbg64 (might take a long while...) :bg
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

Vortex

I don't have a 64-bit installation but it would be interesting to try Pelle's 64-bit podump.exe to disassemble EXEs.

ramguru

AS you may know, MS is going to drop 32-bit support in 2012.
So we are supposed to make a shift to 64-bit computing in 3 years.
And it's really fine with me :}.
Though I'm sure there will be some stubborn guys who will use their old Windows XP boxes & will see 64-bit world as witchcraft / something evil :}.
32-bit applications already are starting to become obsolete :}
Too bad mazegen doesn't put anything useful to www.masm64.com

[...back to the topic]
Well, the only disassembler that I was impressed with was (HT editor http://hte.sourceforge.net/downloads.html )
The only disadvantage that it's console-based ([F6->PE image] - to view disassembly list), but it's really good  :U

Vortex

Quote32-bit applications already are starting to become obsolete :}

For your information, MS is going to release Windows 7 for both 32-bit and 64-bit architectures. 32-bit applications will be supported for a long period. You cannot move immediately millions of 32-bit processors and applications to the recycle bin.

ramguru

Quote from: Vortex on June 13, 2009, 10:18:02 AM
Quote32-bit applications already are starting to become obsolete :}

For your information, MS is going to release Windows 7 for both 32-bit and 64-bit architectures. 32-bit applications will be supported for a long period. You cannot move immediately millions of 32-bit processors and applications to the recycle bin.
Affirmative :} - it is the last Windows OS that comes in both x86 & x64 platforms

hint -> http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-Exploring-Windows-8-Exclusively-64-Bit-Scenario-98641.shtml

BlackVortex

Last thing we need is talks about Win8  :dazzled: :dazzled: :dazzled: :dazzled:

dedndave

ms can have my 32-bit machine when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers

xanatose

I do not see how is convenient. business-wise, for M$ to eliminate support for 32 bit applications. Their emulation layer is good on 64 bit windows, and there are business that depend on 32 bit applications for their day to day stuff. Thus if they eliminate 32 bit support, they will make business think before they will upgrade their machines and their OS.

So my guess is that they will at least include their machine emulator to run 32 bit applications.

dedndave

my guess is, the market will reject the 64-bit machines and OS's to some degree
with todays economy, the world cannot afford to replace all the computers with
64-bit machines just so billy f.n gates can have another $billion
i do not see the need or demand for 64-bit
but, you can bet ms will support 32 for sure at least until they get a 64-bit office suite up and running
i predict ms will change their tune about 32-bit support and extend it

from what i have seen so far, 64-bit code seems unwieldy and clumsy
it also requires the machine to be faster and have at least 4 times
as much storage (both ram and disk space) for the same result

if you are running a cad system, animating a disney movie, or adding cgi graphics for the next block-buster movie,
great - you MAY actually have a need for 64-bits
of course, programmers and computer buffs will want it to play with, as well as those who play computer sim games, i suppose

it doesn't seem very sound, either from an economic standpoint or from an environmental standpoint
(imagine the pile of rubish created if we all tossed out our 32-bit stuff)

EDIT
then of course, their are guys like me who still have XT's sitting around - lol

GregL

Quote from: dedndavemy guess is, the market will reject the 64-bit machines and OS's to some degree
with todays economy, the world cannot afford to replace all the computers with
64-bit machines just so billy f.n gates can have another $billion

Have you gone to buy a new PC lately?, they are almost all 64-bit with 64-bit Windows.

dedndave

well - i guess i am behind the times, then - lol
oh well - nothing new there

donkey

Quote from: Greg on June 27, 2009, 11:34:00 PM
Have you gone to buy a new PC lately?, they are almost all 64-bit with 64-bit Windows.

Yeah, I bought a laptop this week with an Athlon X2 64 bit/3GB memory/250GB HDD and for some bizarre reason I assumed it would have 64 bit Vista, nope, 32 bit Vista Home Premium. Now I have to buy an OS because I had planned on using it for programming, in particular checking the headers in 64 bit mode. Nice enough laptop for $550 (Acer 5535-6637) but the bundled software is useless and the OS is not what I wanted.
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

mitchi

You were not lucky because usually the new laptops come with 64 bit Vista.
Instead of buying Vista64... can't you return the laptop to them? If it's futureshop or some place like that, you should be able to.

sinsi

Just install the 'free' version of windows 7. A new computer is the best time to do it...
Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them.