MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

testgetXY.hla won't compile

Started by nam78, March 23, 2005, 09:31:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nam78

can anybody help?
the testgetxy.hla in the Examples I downloaded from Webster will not compile on my machine. With the console.hhf I get the error unidentified ID getX. With the win32cons.hhf I get the errors " unresolved external symbol win32cons_cl" and  3 more UES errors as above.I have hla v1.73.
could you please help as I am new to programming and although I did read your instructions in reply to a user concerning the console.geXY, they are still of no help.
the same errors with the testOutPutAtribute.hla
thanks.

Randall Hyde

Quote from: nam78 on March 23, 2005, 09:31:30 AM
can anybody help?
the testgetxy.hla in the Examples I downloaded from Webster will not compile on my machine. With the console.hhf I get the error unidentified ID getX. With the win32cons.hhf I get the errors " unresolved external symbol win32cons_cl" and  3 more UES errors as above.I have hla v1.73.
could you please help as I am new to programming and although I did read your instructions in reply to a user concerning the console.geXY, they are still of no help.
thanks.

When compiling, you need to link in the wincons.lib library module. This is not automatic (as is the case for the HLA stdlib). To do so, use a command line like this:

hla mypgm.hla wincons.lib

The wincons.lib module can be found in the examples download (presumably, the same place you got win32cons.hhf). You will need to copy this to your current project subdirectory, specify the full path to it (in the command line above), or copy it to the hlalib directory (where HLA looks for library files).
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

nam78

many thanks randal.
things are OK now. However, just wonder why there hasn't been an update on AoA. This could have save me and, perhaps many, the pains of asking such question.

Randall Hyde

Quote from: nam78 on March 30, 2005, 02:14:38 PM
many thanks randal.
things are OK now. However, just wonder why there hasn't been an update on AoA. This could have save me and, perhaps many, the pains of asking such question.

Because of agreements with my publisher, AoA (electronic version) is frozen. There will be no updates to the electronic version on Webster. Sorry.
Cheers,

Randy Hyde

Aiva

I'm getting same undefined ID error with every console module routine, what can i do to get it to work? i have wincons.lib file in lib folder and console.hhf in include as well as stdlib.hhf (these 2 as AoA stated ) are enough for console routines to work, can somebody tell me what do i need to get to make it work?   :(

Sevag.K

try including "win32cons.hhf" and do it before the line that includes  "stdlib.hhf"

Aiva

Thanks for hint Sevag, i have looked up this and found out that console module was dumped because of compatibility with linux, looks like routines have changed too, gonna look up HLA documentation  :green

Saiph

Quote from: nam78 on March 23, 2005, 09:31:30 AM
can anybody help?
thanks.

Aha! I just registered with the forum to ask about this and found the answers after a short search. However, just adding wincons.lib to the command line doesn't seem to help in my case. I'm typing "hla -v testgetxy wincons.lib" and I still get the unresolved symbol errors. I started off by running HLA v1.99, and now I've uninstalled and reinstalled the latest version, v1.103. I'll do some more checking as I've been experimenting with changing the order of "#include"s and some other things, so I might have messed something up. If I can't get it fixed I'll post back with more info.

BTW, I really like the fact that "Art of Assembly" and its associated tools and docs are available for free online. I've been curious about PC assembler for some time, but never found a way to explore it before. Kudos (or should that be Kuwin32?  :lol ) to Randall and Webster for keeping the site available.

EDIT: I've finally got things working, but I had to install a different version of the wincons.lib file to do it. I found one in the examples file downloaded from: http://webster.cs.ucr.edu/AsmTools/HLA/HLAv1.103/hlaexamples.zip. I backed up the v1.103 wincons.lib, copied in the version from the zip file, and the linker found the symbols.  :U