News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

WINDBG - "No prior disassembly possible"

Started by raleeper, March 16, 2009, 08:45:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raleeper

I was mucking around with breakpoints and when I went back to debugging, the disassembly window says "No prior disassembly possible".  eip is in the kernel and the go commands do nothing.  Load executable on the file menu is grayed out.

Can anyone suggest what I have screwed up and how to fix it?

I tried deleting the [or _a_] workspace, but that didn't seem to have any effect.

Thanks.

sinsi

Maybe whatever at EIP is undefined (invalid address)? Do you get something like "FF78F678  ?? " and "memory access error"?
If your exe has finished, lots of memory will be undefined.

Otherwise, who the f*ck knows...looking at your code it's hard to tell
Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them.

ToutEnMasm

Hello,
Without a piece of code ,can be manything

- old program stay in memory
- break point put with int 3 instead of invoke debugBreak

What can be made
Release all the programs and return to desktop,delet all compiled files,.ilk,.dbg,.obj ..
Recompiled
Have a look on the workspace of the debugger
Verified the path in the environment, the debugger must find the executable
run

raleeper

Quote from: sinsi on March 16, 2009, 09:07:00 AM
Maybe whatever at EIP is undefined (invalid address)? Do you get something like "FF78F678  ?? " and "memory access error"?
If your exe has finished, lots of memory will be undefined.

Otherwise, who the f*ck knows...looking at your code it's hard to tell

I get  "7c8106f5  ??      ??"
but no "memory access error"

I get this on starting windbg, so it wouldn't seem to be a case of the exe having finished.

"looking at your code it's hard to tell" - I'm not sure what you're looking at, since I haven't posted my code.

The code works OK, given it's state of development - it's just the debugger that's f*cked.

I guess next I'll just uninstall/reinstall windbg, but I'd like to know what's going on and how to avoid in the future.

Thanks.

sinsi

Quote"looking at your code it's hard to tell" - I'm not sure what you're looking at, since I haven't posted my code.
Yes, just a little bugbear I have...how are we to guess what is going on without some code?

(edited to remove nasty unneeded comment)
Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them.

PBrennick

Can anyone suggest what I have screwed up and how to fix it?

1. Uninstall windbg.
2. Install Ollydebug.

This may seem snide to you but it is not meant to, really. I cannot even count how many times I have read postings about people having trouble with windbg; but, I very seldom here any reports about people having trouble with Olly. I think that fact speaks for itself.

I am not saying everything will be roses when and if you switch to OllyDebug. What I am saying is you need to not add to your troubles by using a debugger that is ornery and difficult to manage.

Do yourself a favor, mate.
Paul
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website