News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Thoughts...

Started by lonewolff, March 05, 2009, 10:49:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lonewolff

Its funny. I remember back to starting with Visual Basic and hated the executable file size and dependencies that were generated. It was something like ~1Mb for a simple window.

So, I went over to C++ where I could do the same thing in about 30Kb + VS.net redist dependencies.

Now, I am sick of the C++ size and am doing the same thing in assembly with an executable of 3Kb and no dependencies.  :bdg

hutch--

:bg

Wolf, warning, its addictive.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

lonewolff

Yes it is :)

I am allready looking at options on how I can go lower and be less C like  :wink

TmX

Quote from: lonewolff on March 05, 2009, 10:49:00 AM
no dependencies.  :bdg

Even not dependent to user32.dll, kernel32.dll, comctl32.dll, and so on?
:toothy

Vortex

Hi lonewolff,

By turning off the run-time libraries, a typical "hello world" application coded in C can have a size of 1024 bytes.

ToutEnMasm

Freeze your enthusiasm,smaller is smaller.Stay,speed of write ....Examples.............,references...................,header's files.........................................normalized language ...........................................................................,class....................................................................................................................and so on.

lonewolff

Quote from: TmX on March 07, 2009, 10:59:52 AM
Quote from: lonewolff on March 05, 2009, 10:49:00 AM
no dependencies.  :bdg

Even not dependent to user32.dll, kernel32.dll, comctl32.dll, and so on?
:toothy
Aside from standard windows libraries (for what I am doing at the moment).  :wink

I noticed I no longer require the VC redist files. :bg

lonewolff

Quote from: ToutEnMasm on March 07, 2009, 03:31:30 PM

Freeze your enthusiasm,smaller is smaller.Stay,speed of write ....Examples.............,references...................,header's files.........................................normalized language ...........................................................................,class....................................................................................................................and so on.

Not sure what you are getting at here? Are you saying I shouldn't be enthusiatic? Sorry about the confusion, I just dont understand the meaning of the post.  :red