News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

a good api reference - invoke forms

Started by dedndave, January 27, 2009, 11:18:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dedndave

I am looking for a good reference for the kernel32, gdi32, advapi32 calls in "invoke" form.
I am currently using the microsoft one and it is unclear as hell.
Especially when it comes to defining the types for input values.
On some functions, I can use an address, immediate, or an equate.
On others, it is fussy about the data type.
Any help ?
- Dave

donkey

The best API refernce is the PSDK, it is kept up to date and since it comes directly from Microsoft you can be fairly sure about its accuracy. It is rather large but worth the download time, also available is the MSDN library (now for free as well), it contains the PSDK but also many articles and extra code examples. You can simply forget about "invoke form" it is not available in ASM specific format, but the C format of the PSDK is easily translated. As for data types, there is only the width of the data in bytes that actually counts.

PDSK

MSDN library
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

dedndave

ty Donkey,
   Unfortunately, the 2008 msdn library link appears to be broken (says the iso is 2 gb - i get a 1 kb file - lol)
But, I am d/l'ing the 2007 version - that will get me going - thanks
- Dave

Vortex

Hi dedndave,

Iczelion's website is providing an old but useful Win32 API reference :

http://win32assembly.online.fr/files/win32api.zip

dedndave

Thank you both Donkey and Vortex -
I had problems downloading the msdn 2008 library and wanted to let everyone know what I found...
When I attempted to d/l the library in IE6, it tries to render the file as an html or text or something.
They must not have the mime type set correctly.
Finally, I found that d/l'ing the library with Firefox works because it
opens the save dialog box whenever the mime type is unclear.
ThanX Again
   Dave

Vortex

MSDN 2008 is included with the trial version of VS 2008.

PBrennick

The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website

dedndave

yes - well - it says .net 3.5 but it only installed up to 2.0 on me - the 3.5 is compact version - which i opted out
btw - it requires that Windows Installer is in place, and installs Windows Installer 3.1 if required
i highly recommend that you install Windows Installer 4.5 first, and avoid WI 3.1 altogether

Vortex

Quote from: dedndave on March 20, 2009, 10:45:58 PM
i highly recommend that you install Windows Installer 4.5 first, and avoid WI 3.1 altogether

Hi dedndave,

Thanks for the tip.

Hi Paul,

As dedndave stated, it's .NET Framework Version 3.5

PBrennick

Yeah, well I am deadset against using .NET so when I decided to obtain the MSDN stuff, I downloaded PlatformSDK_Svr2003R2_rtm.img along with the newer stuff. I got the help files from the newer stuff and the viewer from PlatformSDK_Svr2003R2_rtm.img

The viewer I get that way is not dependant on .NET

Paul
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website

dedndave

i am no big fan of .net, myself - seems like MS is just trying to create a proprietary type of java
i want to mention, however, that just because you have it on your machine does not mean you have to write code for it
as with many unwanted and unsolicited things (like vista - lol), it seems inevitable that you will have to have it installed, at some point

Vortex

Quote from: dedndave on March 21, 2009, 09:22:14 PM
i am no big fan of .net, myself - seems like MS is just trying to create a proprietary type of java
i want to mention, however, that just because you have it on your machine does not mean you have to write code for it
as with many unwanted and unsolicited things (like vista - lol), it seems inevitable that you will have to have it installed, at some point

That's right. Another fact : Windows 7 will come with .NET Framework 3.5