MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Name of anti-virus program ?

Started by GreenTea, January 13, 2009, 07:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenTea

Thanks.

I have 5 slots for cards but don't understand what a dedicated PCI slot is.
The slots I have filled are a graphics card, modem, and the card that gives me two USB ports at 2.0.

Midsize chassis

(passive riser configuration) five total: two dedicated PCI slots, two ISA slots, and one PCI/ISA slot
or
(active riser configuration) five total: three dedicated PCI slots and two PCI/ISA slots

BlackVortex

(seems I was wrong about the mmx requirement, I hate it when that happens)

I still don't get it, though. Is the processor a normal Intel 386, clocked so high ? Or is the ".386" some other model with a confusing name ?

P.S.: Did you find the PC in a pool of radioactive material ?   :green :toothy

Mark Jones

Quote from: GreenTea on January 20, 2009, 05:23:21 PM
...I have 5 slots for cards but don't understand what a dedicated PCI slot is.

I think the ".386" reference must be a typo -- they probably meant "x86" or "386-compatible."

A "dedicated PCI slot" is simply a slot with only one PCI expansion connector available. (The PCI/ISA slot contains both an ISA connector and PCI connector right next to each other, and either type can be used in that slot, but not both. An ISA slot is an older slot type, usually a longer, black connector while the PCI connector is a light color.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adapter_card
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

GreenTea

Quote from: BlackVortex on January 20, 2009, 05:42:26 PM
(seems I was wrong about the mmx requirement, I hate it when that happens)

I still don't get it, though. Is the processor a normal Intel 386, clocked so high ? Or is the ".386" some other model with a confusing name ?

P.S.: Did you find the PC in a pool of radioactive material ?   :green :toothy

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

GreenTea

A "dedicated PCI slot" is simply a slot with only one PCI expansion connector available. (The PCI/ISA slot contains both an ISA connector and PCI connector right next to each other, and either type can be used in that slot, but not both. An ISA slot is an older slot type, usually a longer, black connector while the PCI connector is a light color.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adapter_card

My system is a little different from my last system.

This one has a board that contains the expansion slots.

This board holding the expansion slots  slides out and is locked back in by a lever.
I think they designed it this way so they easily modify the system.

Dell lists a mini-tower, midsize etc.

They are some mistakes though in their spec sheet. For ex., they list a 600 Mhz as the highest processor.
Dead wrong. :-)

Someone was probably in a hurry when they made up the sheet.

Wish someone would help me with my menu post, I would really like to fix up my menu like I used to have
it.

MichaelW

I'd have to check to be sure, but I was under the impression that the slot1 processors never reached 733MHz. If it's a Socket 370 processor on an adapter, it should be easy to spot if you know what a normal slot1 processor looks like. Or the CPU Identification procedure here might provide some useful information. And there is a free-standing clock speed program here.
eschew obfuscation

Mark Jones

Also to definitively identify the chip, give this a try:

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

GreenTea

The programs give a speed of 730.96 Mhz and a P-3.

I wanted to use a few frames of my 35mm and took a few pics of the internals and the case.
BlackVortex is sending me some money to get rush processing. :-)

Outta here.....

BlackVortex

But it's not a 386 !  You didn't know your own PC specs to begin with.   :red

Send me the case, should make a nice home for a friend's cats !

GreenTea

I got your money yesterday.

I had an emergency and had to spend it on upgrading my ram.
Would you like my old PCI-100 sticks ? (2 at 128MB each)

Don't worry though, you will get those pics.

Promise.

vanjast

Are you using this PC as a router, or in some industrial application.
Maybe it's running Windows CE.. or minimal XP ?
:8)

GreenTea

Quote from: vanjast on January 23, 2009, 11:23:28 PM
Are you using this PC as a router, or in some industrial application.
Maybe it's running Windows CE.. or minimal XP ?
:8)

As Hutch if you want to know if a .386 will run XP.

Take care.

SAE140

They are some mistakes though in their spec sheet. For ex., they list a 600 Mhz as the highest processor.
Yes, there are several errors/ omissions in the Dell spec sheet for the GX1.
The first is the highest speed CPU - the v2 m/board will provide either 2.0 or 1.75v Vcore (can't vouch for any lower voltages, yet), so a Pentium 3 Coppermine processor up to 1Ghz (Slot 1, or skt 370 with a Super Slocket III) can be installed, or a Celeron processor up to 1100 Mhz, again using a Slocket.  It's important that the chosen processor speed is rated at 100 FSB: if you use a P3 133 FSB processor, then you'll only achieve 75% of that cpu's speed. (All 370 Celerons are 100 FSB.)

Memory - the spec sheet suggests that ECC (parity) memory must be used if installing 256Mb sticks. Not so. Non-ECC 256's can be used providing they are double-sided. Also, it's best to stay with 100 FSB sticks - quite often 133 FSB sticks will not work.  I know this sounds counter-intuitive, but some manufacturers have achieved the higher speed rating by using unbuffered memory chips (which are faster by virtue of not being slowed down by the buffering) BUT unbuffered chips load the address and data lines, and doubly so when double-sided sticks are used. This excessive loading can cause the GX1 to hang rather than boot.

BTW - I don't see how a 733 processor is running on a GX1 board, as the GX1 has it's FSB locked at 100 (or 66). If it's a 733/133 cpu, then it'll run at 550 on the GX1. Of course it could be a 1Ghz/133 which would then run at something around 733-750.   The cpu in question could be either a Pentium II or III Slot 1, or a Celeron in a Slocket - but it certainly isn't an early 386 processor !

BlackVortex

Welcome to the forum, SAE140 !  (you're not related to SAE134, are you ?)

Still waiting for pictures of this heroic PC from the thread starter. I'm bored of my current wallpaper (just an old 486 running win7)

GreenTea

Quote from: SAE140 on February 01, 2009, 08:02:13 PM
Yes, there are several errors/ omissions in the Dell spec sheet for the GX1.
The first is the highest speed CPU - the v2 m/board will provide either 2.0 or 1.75v Vcore (can't vouch for any lower voltages, yet), so a Pentium 3 Coppermine processor up to 1Ghz (Slot 1, or skt 370 with a Super Slocket III) can be installed, or a Celeron processor up to 1100 Mhz, again using a Slocket.  It's important that the chosen processor speed is rated at 100 FSB: if you use a P3 133 FSB processor, then you'll only achieve 75% of that cpu's speed. (All 370 Celerons are 100 FSB.)

Memory - the spec sheet suggests that ECC (parity) memory must be used if installing 256Mb sticks. Not so. Non-ECC 256's can be used providing they are double-sided. Also, it's best to stay with 100 FSB sticks - quite often 133 FSB sticks will not work.  I know this sounds counter-intuitive, but some manufacturers have achieved the higher speed rating by using unbuffered memory chips (which are faster by virtue of not being slowed down by the buffering) BUT unbuffered chips load the address and data lines, and doubly so when double-sided sticks are used. This excessive loading can cause the GX1 to hang rather than boot.

BTW - I don't see how a 733 processor is running on a GX1 board, as the GX1 has it's FSB locked at 100 (or 66). If it's a 733/133 cpu, then it'll run at 550 on the GX1. Of course it could be a 1Ghz/133 which would then run at something around 733-750.   The cpu in question could be either a Pentium II or III Slot 1, or a Celeron in a Slocket - but it certainly isn't an early 386 processor !

Thanks for all the good info.

Now I may start looking for a higher CPU in addition to the doubling of my RAM.

I have someone looking for a PCI graphics card, I may horse trade some components if he finds my RAM.

This weekend I may take the cooling fan off and see what's under the hood.

Take care.