News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

DOS - Is still a very valuable OS

Started by vanjast, January 06, 2009, 01:08:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vanjast

In the 'art' of newer disk/data recoveries DOS is proving to be a master-art.
I've recovered many a windoze disk, and thanks to those 'DOS Die-Hards'..  :U

I must re-aquaint myself with DOS-Asm
:8)

BlackVortex

?!?!!?!?

For recovery purposes it's easier to boot a linux livecd with all the necessary tools. Or a pre-installed XP, like BartPE or custom made. You can even boot from a USB stick !

Mark Jones

Yes, but without DOS, mundane tasks like replacing an infected boot sector, FDISK, or modifying an NTFS volume is impossible or sketchy. (Do any Linux live CD's fully support NTFS volumes yet?)

DOS is still used quite extensively, despite its age. I have personally seen about six businesses which run mission-critical software from DOS. A certain world-wide industrial controls company uses DOS code for programming microchips in-field. A popular furniture company uses DOS-based sales terminals. A photocopier repair company uses DOS for their dispatching and ordering system. (Granted, I said that something much nicer and less complex would be possible, but they were not interested in changing a system that had worked well for them for the past twenty years...)

Dos may be old, but with age comes knowledge and experience.
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

drhowarddrfine

I stumbled upon this a few days ago but haven't had time to look into it.

Vortex

Quote from: BlackVortex on January 24, 2009, 02:49:42 AM
?!?!!?!?

For recovery purposes it's easier to boot a linux livecd with all the necessary tools. Or a pre-installed XP, like BartPE or custom made. You can even boot from a USB stick !

You can add Win PE to the list too.

anunitu

There are times when nothing else will do, booting from a cd in dos, with the right tools, can be a lifesaver.

Anunitu

dedndave

quote:
Yes, but without DOS, mundane tasks like replacing an infected boot sector, FDISK, or modifying an NTFS volume is impossible or sketchy. (Do any Linux live CD's fully support NTFS volumes yet?)

NTFS is a MS "trade secret" and proprietary
which really makes it a pain in the backside
i don't think it can ever be supported without MS passing a wand over it first
it is difficult to even find complete documentation for the NTFS definition
if anyone knows of such a document, i would greatly appreciate a link
- Dave

dedndave

Ghirai

Quote from: Mark Jones on January 24, 2009, 06:15:37 PM
Do any Linux live CD's fully support NTFS volumes yet?

Yes, either through FUSE or otherwise.
There are distros that specialize in forensics, and the're very good.

Who managed to get a dd image of a disk with DOS? :P
Not to mention you might need stuff like proper networking, and mass storage support.

As for the DOS-based sales terminals, the're using it because it costs to replace it, not because it's good (on the contrary).
Also i bet the're using some ancient version of fox or dbase - i hope you'll never have to maintain any of those systems.
I know this from first hand experience.

The performance and suckiness 'bill' is footed by the poor souls who have to use them, and the IT team who has to keep it running; they get payed anyway, so it's cheaper to keep using that, instead of some app that the clerk can use to issue a receipt in less than 10 minutes of TAB bashing, and which is backed up by a real database.

Sorry for the off-topic, couldn't help myself :bg
MASM32 Project/RadASM mirror - http://ghirai.com/hutch/mmi.html