News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Does stdlib use less memory than stdout?

Started by sefaen, December 27, 2008, 05:50:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sefaen

I am just starting to learn assembly language, and I chose HLA to start with.

I've been reading Art of Assembly (great book) and was tweaking my helloWorld program (I know that sounds stupid). I changed stdlib.hhf to stdout.hhf and was checking to see if there was any less memory usage.

I'm using Windows Task Manager and I'm sure there is probably a more accurate tool out there to use, but using stdout.hhf I get 660K memory usage, and using stdlib.hhf I get 656K. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

I'm sure (not sure at all) this probably has something to do with caching and/or inaccuracies in Windows Task Manager, but my real question is... does it matter?

My assumption is "no" it doesn't matter because when compiled, it's not going to use any unneccesary code from the library.

I have a modest knowledge of programming in general (I'm learning C# in college, and learned VB back in highschool), but obviously I'm just starting out.

I know it's a stupid question, but I wanted to make sure my account didn't get deleted!

Sevag.K

It won't matter at all.  The only thing that does is speed up compiling time, but on such a small program, you won't notice any change.

sefaen