News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

MASM or TASM?

Started by n00b!, August 13, 2008, 12:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

n00b!

Simple reconstruction of post: What are the advantages of MASM compared to TASM and backwards?

PBrennick

TASM is no longer in development or supported. Also, there is a mountain of example type code out there for MASM. TASM? Also, if you want to ask questions, you will mostly get MASM type answers - for the most part.

There is nothing wrong, as far as I know, with TASM, but you should stick with the front-runner.

-- Paul

The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website

n00b!

Simple reconstruction of post:

PBrennick

Okay, I changed it to the repository link. That link was given to me by an old friend who left. I guess I always hoped he would come back as I miss him. Oh well, life goes on. Anyway, have you tried the new GeneSys Editor. It can be downloaded from http://pbrennick.freehosting.net/.

It will be up at the repository soon.

-- Paul

hutch--

noob,

TASM was a good assembler in its time but as Borland ran out of puff it was no longer maintained and got left behind. Once Microsoft produced their 32 bit version back in the 90s MASM just went past it. Bogdan Ontanu is an expert on TASM and I think he was using it up until he started writing Solar_Asm and when he has the time to finish it, it will e a far better tool than TASM.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

n00b!

Simple reconstruction of post: What are the differences between the TASM Versions?

The documentation says TASM would know @@, @b and @f, but it doesn't look like.

Additionally I can't use the same name for labels in different procs

Vortex

Hi n00b!,

You should have a look at LzAsm, a Tasm compatible assembler :

QuoteLazy Assembler (freeware) Version 0.56 (6 AUG 2007) by Stepan Polovnikov

LZASM is an x86 assembler for DOS and Windows that handles the TASM (Turbo Assembler) IDEAL mode and produces OMF OBJ files.
Support MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3 (PNI), SSE4 (MNI), 3DNow!Pro instructions.

http://lzasm.hotbox.ru/

PBrennick

n00b,
It would be unusual for you to expect ANY assembler to allow two labels in the same procedure to have the same name. MASM has that special case involving "@@:" but other than that, it forces the same rule, also.

-- Paul

Cobra

Quote from: n00b! on August 16, 2008, 02:13:44 AM
I read that in Tasm there is no @@ and so no @f + @b.
Also that you cannot have double names like

fo1 proc
jmp @f
@@:
fo1 endp

fo2 proc
jmp @f
@@:      ;<--- cannot have the name "@@" because in fo1 there is already "@@"     In Masm this would work...
fo2 endp

Is this correct? I mean, does this really not work?
If so it would be a big deficit in Tasm :0

The version of TASM that I have (5.3) and the previous 5.0 does support the @@ as well as all the high level things like .IF .ELSE .ENDIF and the like. It just doesn't natively support newer processor instructions. IMO, MASM is a better choice because it does get updated and the newest versions supports up to SSE4 instructions.

n00b!

QuoteIt would be unusual for you to expect ANY assembler to allow two labels in the same procedure to have the same name.
?
What do you mean? Do you think I'm that stupid that I cannot think logical?

Where did I said that I want to have 2 Labes with the same Name in 1 Proc?

The first Label is in fo1, the second in fo2.
In Masm that would be possible, in Tasm you have to get a different Name even through the fact they're in different Procs.

PS: Masm produces smaller and faster Executables, too.

Edit: It's neither in Tasm 5.0 nor in Tasm 5.3 possible.
It's some kind of working with a patched Tasm 5.3 (I don't know whose Patch this is) but only in Masm Mode.

BogdanOntanu

Edit: It's neither in Tasm 5.0 nor in Tasm 5.3 possible.

You are  wrong. It is very possible to use 2 labels with the same name in two different PROC's in both TASM 5.0 and TASM 5.3.
However you do have to know TASM in order to do this.

Hence at your reduced level of expertise it is better for you to start and then to keep on working with MASM and MASM32 package.
MASM32 is more tolerant to newbies than TASM is.

Besides this is a MASM forum.

Ambition is a lame excuse for the ones not brave enough to be lazy.
http://www.oby.ro

jj2007

Quote from: n00b! on August 19, 2008, 11:58:48 AM
What do you mean? Do you think I'm that stupid that I cannot think logical?
Worse!
Quote from: BogdanOntanu on August 19, 2008, 12:34:43 PM
You are  wrong. It is very possible to use 2 labels with the same name in two different PROC's in both TASM 5.0 and TASM 5.3.
However you do have to know TASM in order to do this.

Hence at your reduced level of expertise bla bla bla
As you can see, it can be done. Bogdan knows how, but he won't tell you - this is true genius :8)
My advice: Tasm is very old, and you would be stuck with very few code examples. In contrast, Masm has an overwhelming codebase, to start with the Iczelion tutorials, the Masm32 examples, and an excellent library. The "support" is sometimes a bit, ehm, top down, but if you put forward concrete code examples, preferably after having searched \masm32\examples for solutions, somebody will help you. There is no risk in staying with Masm, so just go ahead. Welcome again :thumbu

PBrennick

nOOb,

I do not know how to reply. I was just making a statement worth knowing. I feel you need to go to a TASM forum for TASM questions and come back here for answers to questions about MASM.

I certainly was NOT trying to offend you. On another note, Bogdan has been a TASM user for years, so you can believe anything he says as being correct. Most of us have played with TASM on and off but will not be able to give you the good advice you deserve.

Calm down.
-- Paul

BogdanOntanu

As you can see, it can be done. Bogdan knows how, but he won't tell you - this is true genius Cool

Nope you are wrong on one item here: I am not a "true" genius.

I have simply read the TASM manuals and the solution was right in there. There is nothing special about it, just an TASM specific issue. My "not telling" is also nothing special.... I just thought that the OP could have found the solution very easy IF he was really interested by the issue.

Yes I do admit that I do know how to read ... but that is about all that I know... otherwise I am pretty dumb and stupid.
Ambition is a lame excuse for the ones not brave enough to be lazy.
http://www.oby.ro

GregL

n00b!,

If you are really interested in TASM, try it out. TASM 5.3 is included in Turbo C++ Explorer. It's free.