Resource Links to Understanding and Learning 64bitCPU's & Win64

Started by Porkster, March 02, 2005, 04:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porkster

List links to resources to learning and understand this new frontline of technology.

Intel EM64T
-----------------
EM64T FAQ

Download the two PDF documents that explain hardware differences.
Intel's EM64T Infomation Site

Windows XP64
---------------------
Microsofts Dev Network's, "64bit Issues", (Thx to Greg).
MSDN 64bit Issues

nasm64developer

> List links to resources to learning and understand this new frontline of technology.
> EM64T FAQ
> Intel's EM64T Infomation Site

Why bother with the clone, when you can have the original?  :-)

AMD64 @ http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_739_7044,00.html

mariø

a few questions about Win64...
32bits applications will run?
when do you think that 64bits pcs (and OS) will be popular for home ?

hutch--

mariø,

AMD 64 runs 32 bit apps on win64 fine but I gather the OS is not fully developed yet. I have seen a gaming machine set up with an Athlon 64 and it seemed to run fine. I am not in a mad rush to buy 64 bit hardware as the OS situation is not stable yet and a decent 32 bit box still has a lot of life in it. I think I would like to see it all a lot further along the track before I start doing much in it as you can waste a lot of development time on an unstable or changable OS platform.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

Porkster

Quote from: mariø on March 03, 2005, 07:04:28 AMwhen do you think that 64bits pcs (and OS) will be popular for home ?

I would say about a year and a half.  Most big businesses will shift.  Home users will be a 50-50.  Some will upgrade others will retain a computer as long as it can web browse and allow typing, etc.

My own case, well I will be able to get 64bit if I upgrade the CPU.  That could cost about $300.  I'm personally waiting to make sure the CPU I buy next can do Vanderpool and Active Management Tech.

Microsoft is saying in two years most will have a computer that can run a 64bit OS.

Quote from: nasm64developerWhy bother with the clone, when you can have the original?  :-)

It's best to have one standard.  Since Intel is respected in the business community then it's the income of many computer dev people, so we should see it as the pinnacle.  Also AMD are the ones that come into the Intel realm.

As far as I know, Intel and AMD are working to remain standard at the top end.

chetnik

Quote from: nasm64developer on March 03, 2005, 05:20:19 AM
> List links to resources to learning and understand this new frontline of technology.
> EM64T FAQ
> Intel's EM64T Infomation Site

Why bother with the clone, when you can have the original?  :-)

AMD64 @ http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_739_7044,00.html

I got that one, but still don't have Win64 for amd64 :( I was able only to install Gentoo amd64 linux on it and it works fine, but I don't like linux :(

Alloy

With all this talk about 64 bit Windows coming soon is there any more information about Longhorn? It is odd lately for Microsoft to release two operating systems in two years. Will Longhorn run 32 and 64 bit Windows programs? Will MASM64 assemble on it?
We all used to be something else. Nature has always recycled.

Porkster

32bit Windows is being dumped to the legacy support bin.

Longhorn will be 64bit only, I can imagine.

(EDIT)  Even though Longhorn alpha versions have been 32bit kernels, it would be hard to believe MS will support 32bit cpu's at release due to the mass change in the industry's direction.   There are too many areas that need support so unless they make numbered verisons of the kernel (therefore multi support, unlikely), Longhorn will most likely end up 64bit CPU support only.

Some of the difficulties placed on MS.  They need to support ; 64bit instruction, 64bit CPU modes, Visualisation(Vanderpool tech), Multi CPU cores and other HW/SW threading tech, etc.  32bit CPU's will be the least of their concerns.

With the prices of CPU's with 64bit being readily available and cheap, shortly, there wont be any excuse not to have.

drhowarddrfine

Will longhorn only be available for 64-bit processors or for current
> 32-bit
> processors as well?

We are currently building for both platforms - we are however over a year
away from release so final distribution and platform minimum specifications
have yet to be decided.

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

gluespill

Porkster,

QuoteIt's best to have one standard.  Since Intel is respected in the business community then it's the income of many computer dev people, so we should see it as the pinnacle.  Also AMD are the ones that come into the Intel realm.

As far as I know, Intel and AMD are working to remain standard at the top end.

I agree that a single standard for x86 would be best.  However, as far as the realm of 64 bit workstations for the masses, AMD is the owner of the realm.  Microsoft & AMD went in different directions in their attempts to develop 64 bit workstation processor architechtures that could support 32 bit apps without significant speed penalties.  Microsoft could not pull it off, so they purchased the technology from AMD to utilize in their workstation processors. 

The reason Microsoft could not develop a 64 bit processor capable of efficiently running 32 bit applications is due to the fact that their shop is always full of smoke from running their processor clocks so fast trying to keep up with the performance of AMD.  The smoke burns their eyes and makes it difficult to read and to even see anything.  Intel is respected in the business community because of their ability to deliver the best technology.  Once AMD rewrote the microcode for their FPU, they have had a clear advantage over Intel.  And now in order for Intel to continue to deliver the best technology, they must purchase it from AMD.  AMD is constantly gaining respect, and it is the very struggle to between them (to be the best) that benefits us all in the end, so I applaud them both.

So yes, AMD & Intel are probably working at the top to maintain some kind of standard now that AMD has developed technology that Intel couldn't.   But I seriously doubt that either company would turn down an opportunity to put the other company out of business.