News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Context menu shell extensions using COM ?

Started by white scorpion, May 07, 2008, 11:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

white scorpion

I've been doing some research on the shell extensions since the solution I currently use isn't available with folders, but I must admit that it's quite confusing to write the code in masm  :(

I've found This code example in C/C++, but I'm not sure how to define all the declarations.....

Does anyone have any example code for a shell extension for masm?

Thanks!

japheth

Hi,

I once did such things. On my site (http://www.japheth.de there might still be working examples written for MASM.

white scorpion

You do have some very interesting COM samples there, thanks for that.
But to be honest I think it's a bit overkill since the only thing I want to do is add a context menu item (rightclick menu) which can handle folders and multiple files.
Do you have any idea on how to create something like that?

See Winzip, WinRar, Adobe Acrobat, UltraEdit, NotePad++, etc as example.
They all have their own menu item setup in the menu.

maybe I'm completely off here and need another way then using COM, but I'm not sure, i don't have that much experience with the GUI parts of an application ;)

japheth

Quote from: white scorpion on May 07, 2008, 03:36:31 PM
You do have some very interesting COM samples there, thanks for that.
But to be honest I think it's a bit overkill since the only thing I want to do is add a context menu item (rightclick menu) which can handle folders and multiple files.
Do you have any idea on how to create something like that?

The SERegEdt sample is quite exactly a Windows Explorer context menu extension. Is that so hard to find?

http://www.japheth.de/Dwnload1.html

maybe I'm completely off here and need another way then using COM, but I'm not sure, i don't have that much experience with the GUI parts of an application ;)

If you're unexperienced, it might be a not so good idea to start with COM + MASM, that's a bit "steep". However, to extend the Windows shell, it is the correct way.

white scorpion

I looked through the COM examples and everything which had COM in its name ;)

But I'm unexperienced with COM, thats true, but you got to start some time :p
I'll take a look at the program, thanks!