News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Data Execution Prevention

Started by ic2, February 14, 2008, 07:08:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockoon

When C++ compilers can be coerced to emit rcl and rcr, I *might* consider using one.

ic2

You came in accusing me of bad coding.  You say I'm mouthing off ( ranting ) Microsoft. Then you going to order me to take help from you. 

I gave the people (who kind of know me and trust my judgement) my word that my code was clean cut and perfect.  They know I'll come to them first before doing something stupid on my own.  I rank my self a C- coder, but my finish product is always A+++, always, than out of no  where you came in defending a company you apparently know nothing about or work for.

My code ran great on operating systems built in 1995 - 2008 and a stupid service pack break it.  I never use undocumented function. If it was a new version, I would had nothing to say.   I got business too.   Come on, how would anyone feel.

You get tired of rebuilding every single release to keep your app backward compatible.  They don't do that anymore as promise.  I do it cause I want to.

I know you don't expect me to dig into a lage project to find you something to help me with.  To help I would have to post the entire project.  Nither would make any since.

It was made clear long before your post that  DEP was not my problem.  I never said hardware DEP was a bad thing .  Go to the ORIGINAL POST and you'll see  "I THINK it may be the Data Execution Prevention." .. [/i].  That's not jumping to conclusions.  That's part of asking the question.   I did do a search and knowing Microsoft you can bet your life they added something more to it, code wise.  Did you read between the lines.  I joked about it mostly to just to fire myself up for the new job your bosses gave me.   Can't no one help me unless I post the entire project.  Like I said, I know what I have to do... that don't mean I have be happy about it.  I can see what's happing even if you don't.

No I don't trust microsoft like Netscape, Adobe and many others... They all got screwed.  They just broke nearly every major Anti-Virus company software with their new  Kernel Patch Protection boloney and told them there's other ways to do it...  while microsoft had already wrote their own..  What do that tell you... Now I find out they been joggling API's for no apparent reason but to confuse manual code writers or whatever else.  That's a app breaker in your face.

It's simple... Try it and see for yourself and tell me what common since tells you.

I don't hate microsoft, I just hate stupid sh^t period.  Long ago I had nothing else to say about microsoft.  I was done with it...  then you came and the nice guy that I am by nature I tried to give you the benefit of the douth that you were just very young.  Beleive me, I meant a few thirteen years older at these forum that taught me how to code and I still use their examples today.

This thread (DEP) was about to have a life of it's own and we may have kill it.  I'm out of here.   If you want to do battle we can meet elsewhere

hutch--

Guys,

There is nothing to argue about here, why bother. hardware DEP is with us care of Microsoft in XP sp2 and later so simply live with it. Spare a thought for us old fellas, I had to diagnose the problem with a large number of compressed binaries that refused to run on XP sp2 and Vista, tracked it down to DEP in the PE header and had to change and rebuild every effected binary then recompress them with another compressor.

It was all the more fun as I run win2000 and don't want a later version.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

Rockoon

Quote from: ic2 on March 16, 2008, 06:59:04 AM
You came in accusing me of bad coding. 

Link, or it didnt happen.

I gave the people (who kind of know me and trust my judgement) my word that my code was clean cut and perfect. 

Yet it wasn't..

My code ran great on operating systems built in 1995 - 2008 and a stupid service pack break it. 

When did SP2 come out? That was in 2004.

I never use undocumented function.

Just holes (undocumented "features") in functions...

Do you still think that Microsoft is changing your registers?

I did do a search and knowing Microsoft you can bet your life they added something more to it, code wise. 

They just broke nearly every major Anti-Virus company software with their new  Kernel Patch Protection boloney and told them there's other ways to do it... 

..and there is.

while microsoft had already wrote their own..  What do that tell you... Now I find out they been joggling API's for no apparent reason but to confuse manual code writers or whatever else.  That's a app breaker in your face.

Yes, no other reason at all  ::)

It's simple... Try it and see for yourself and tell me what common since tells you.

Common sense! Do you still think that Microsoft is changing your registers?

then you came and the nice guy that I am by nature I tried to give you the benefit of the douth that you were just very young. 

There is an innocent explanation for all the conclusions you jumped to, right? Not just this one?

When C++ compilers can be coerced to emit rcl and rcr, I *might* consider using one.

hutch--

Guys,

If you feel like continuing this debate, do it in the Colosseum, not the Campus.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php