MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

strange behavior of local variables

Started by ossama, December 23, 2007, 04:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossama

hello,
when i was writing a procedure, i needed local variables,but the problem is when the total size of these local variables is more than 16312 bytes (this value may change in your system) the procedure is not called.
to explain this i have written a demo:

.model flat,stdcall
option casemap:none

include \masm32\include\windows.inc
include \masm32\include\user32.inc
include \masm32\include\kernel32.inc

includelib \masm32\lib\user32.lib
includelib \masm32\lib\kernel32.lib

BUFFER_SIZE EQU 16313

.code
start:
call my_proc
invoke ExitProcess,0

my_proc proc
local buffer[BUFFER_SIZE]:byte

invoke MessageBox,0,0,0,MB_OK
ret
my_proc endp

end start

what is going on ?

Vortex

ossama,

On my system ( Win XP Pro Sp2 ), I get a buffer of 16316 bytes. The stack is aligned to the nearest DWORD boundry, this is why the total size of your local variables is not 16313 bytes.

ossama

Vortex

ossama,

Why not to use memory allocation functions? They are more flexible as you have the opportunity to resize the allocated memory portion.

ossama

yes , i was thinking about using memory allocation functions , but i was asking here if there is another issue before i use memory functions.

donkey

Hi ossama,

For large blocks of memory you should be using the memory allocation functions as Vortex has said, there are no particular issues when using them except that you might have to address them a bit differently than you would with stack based memory. Beyond that little difference memory allocation offers many advantages and you'll never have to worry about stack sizes. For 16KB you can use the heap functions...

HeapAlloc
HeapFree
HeapReAlloc
HeapSize

Or for larger allocations (>4MB) use the Virtual memory functions...

VirtualAllocEx
VirtualFree
VirtualLock
VirtualProtect
VirtualQuery

Donkey
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

ossama

so the memory allocation is the issue,ok , thank you for help  :U

raymond

QuoteOr for larger allocations (>4MB) use the Virtual memory functions...

I have allocated as much as 100Mb without any problem using GlobalAlloc. I don't know about HeapAlloc or LocalAlloc, but I would assume they could also be used for allocating more than 4Mb.
When you assume something, you risk being wrong half the time
http://www.ray.masmcode.com

ossama

i am using CoTaskMemAlloc and CoTaskMemFree all the time,i did not used them in large memory allocations.

Mirno

Raymond, GlobalAlloc & LocalAlloc are depreciated, and map on to VirtualAlloc for compatability. So while you can use them, it's best not to if possible (new projects & rewrites).

As for the problem at hand, can you try adding:

mov buffer[4095], 0
mov buffer[8191], 0
mov buffer[12287], 0

Between the declaration, and the invoke of messagebox?

I suspect it may be a pagefault issue.

Mirno

ossama

QuoteI suspect it may be a pagefault issue

is the orgine of fault from the assembler or the OS?

Mirno

When Windows allocates stack space, it does so by monitoring page faults (when you access an address that hasn't been assigned physical memory yet), and if it's adjacent to the current top of the stack then it adds more to the stack.
If you try to touch an address that's more than a single page from the stack then it acts like a "normal" page-fault and errors.

By adding the movs you force windows to allocate it, before moving on to the next page.

ossama

Quote from: Mirno on December 27, 2007, 03:02:47 PM
Raymond, GlobalAlloc & LocalAlloc are depreciated, and map on to VirtualAlloc for compatability. So while you can use them, it's best not to if possible (new projects & rewrites).

As for the problem at hand, can you try adding:

mov buffer[4095], 0
mov buffer[8191], 0
mov buffer[12287], 0

Between the declaration, and the invoke of messagebox?

I suspect it may be a pagefault issue.

Mirno

i did the above movs between declaration and the invoke,but the same problem.

ToutEnMasm

Hello,
For the stack,you must use "VirtualQuery" and other API in Virtual....
I join a sample that allocate,unallocate the memory stack with these functions.
Unhappy,comment are in french,just ask i will reply.

[attachment deleted by admin]