News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

olly behaving oddly on xp 64 bit

Started by darrenls59, November 08, 2007, 07:18:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darrenls59

Hi. I recently built a new machine and was working on an assembler project on my old one. I did the usual, code, assemble, debug using olly but now I have this new machine which has xp 64 bit on it and olly is behaving oddly. I imagine things like pe headers and general architecture are different in 64 but os but is this what's throwing olly off? What's happening is i open my proggy in olly and it's entry point seems a very far jump away from the main proggy. I step  through and end up in code i recognize. I set a breakpoint to somewhere i know my programme does reach but it never gets there. It stops at a single step event and event it won't let me pass to the programme. I can step but it just seems to go round in circles and nowhere near my own code. What's going on?

Thanks.

BogdanOntanu

OllyDbg does not yet support 64 bit OSes.

You need a new disassembly engine in 64bits, and a new heuristic engine. Besides the Windows debug API is closely related to the machine architecture. Hence Olly has serious problems under those circumstances.

It is a wonder if anything works. If it works it is probably just "apparently working"

There are other 64 bits debuggers and maybe in the future Olly will be enabled for 64bits also.
For now you will have to seek and use other debuggers for 64bits.
Ambition is a lame excuse for the ones not brave enough to be lazy.
http://www.oby.ro

darrenls59

Quote from: BogdanOntanu on November 08, 2007, 08:05:25 AM
OllyDbg does not yet support 64 bit OSes.

You need a new disassembly engine in 64bits, and a new heuristic engine. Besides the Windows debug API is closely related to the machine architecture. Hence Olly has serious problems under those circumstances.

It is a wonder if anything works. If it works it is probably just "apparently working"

There are other 64 bits debuggers and maybe in the future Olly will be enabled for 64bits also.
For now you will have to seek and use other debuggers for 64bits.

I was thinking that the 64 bit os runs 32 bit through some sort of emulations and olly was trying to debug the emulator. Just a thought.

Not the end of the world. I can improvise. :)