News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Any Graphics Programmers on Projects out there?

Started by OceanJeff32, February 21, 2005, 06:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OceanJeff32

I'm new to this Assembly Language, and loving it! But I don't see a lot of support for folks doing graphics in Assembly Language (i mean 32-bit, MMX, SSE2, all that jazz, etc.)?  I enjoyed Ron's Cornucopia for WIN32 ASM.

There is a ton of stuff for 16-bit or less graphics and the old VGA stuff. (which still works, btw)

Anybody else have some interesting Graphics Projects going on at the moment?

Especially, if you have some code that you want to share, and/or help with...

Just curious,

Jeff C
:wink
Any good programmer knows, every large and/or small job, is equally large, to the programmer!

petezl

Jeff,
I've had a novel idea in my head for some time but haven't had time yet to do much about it yet.
The idea was to produce something like a Chart recorder where you have a window where the simulated graph paper passes through.
and the coloured pens draw the traces.  A never-ending bitmap would be a bad idea and you can't (I don't think) have a window wider than the app size, so it looks like there will be a lot of pen work running in a loop, will probably be very flickery.
If your interested I'll give you updates from time to time but don't hold your breath. Temperatures are rising so I'll be going back to my first hobby soon (engineering) till next winter.
Peter.
Cats and women do as they please
Dogs and men should realise it.

AeroASM

I have just finished a program that will render the Mandelbrot and Julia fractals, but I'm not sure if that is really relevant.

OceanJeff32

I'm working on a 3D Graphics Engine...!

It will be based on Michael Abrash's Book Zen of Graphics Programming with Assembly Language...
and Andre LaMothe's books, Advanced 3D Graphics Rasterization.

So far, I've got a Pixel Plotter, Horizontal and Vertical line plotter.

Gotta go,

Jeff C
:U
Any good programmer knows, every large and/or small job, is equally large, to the programmer!

petezl

I've got some slick looking graph paper loaded in a dll. The only trouble is, is that I set out with a specific target planned but keep changing my mind which often screws up the code...
Peter.
Cats and women do as they please
Dogs and men should realise it.

raymond

Quote from: AeroASM on February 21, 2005, 12:47:24 PM
I have just finished a program that will render the Mandelbrot and Julia fractals, but I'm not sure if that is really relevant.

I've just finished upgrading one of those myself (originally uploaded to a fractal site last year). Would you care comparing?

(I also intend to make the executable available for download with my page on complex numbers within the next week or so.)

Raymond
When you assume something, you risk being wrong half the time
http://www.ray.masmcode.com

OceanJeff32

Hey guys, I had a lot of free time at work tonight to go through Michael Abrash's hashing out of the Bresenham's Algorithm for approximating lines on the VGA display screen.

When I get the code converted to Assembly, and read his section on Optimization for this and that, etc.  What's left of my brain will post the ASM Line-Drawing Example program here for all to assemble and run. (if they wish)

Later,

Jeff C
:P

P.S. Hey guys, I would love to see both of those programs you all were talking about.

AeroASM

Since I said I had finished, I have taken out the algorithm that decides what colour to plot and I am working on a better version. Should be finished in 2-3 days. When I have done than, I would be more than happy to compare, especially as I have only been coding assembly for 4 months and have little idea of how to optimize.