News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Game requires SSE2?

Started by sinsi, July 25, 2007, 05:51:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinsi

Just hired Colin McRae Dirt, installed (10 gig!), rebooted (thanks copy-protection), started...error 0xC000001D - invalid opcode - I've never actually seen that before.
Seems that the program's minimum specs are p4 3gig or amd 64, my XP2600 don't cut it no more... :'( no SSE2. Glad I only hired it and didn't buy it.

This is worse (for me) than the games that will only run on Vista because of DX10 - no DX10 for XP, or likely to be.

Anyway, here is the offending code - is it SSE2 or not?
    movsd xmm0, ds:qword_AC4C68
Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them.

ramguru

Yes, its SEE2 even though there is string opcode named the same. But what do you expect from recent game. We will soon experience power of SEE4, Intel processors definitely have many advantage against Amd...

Draakie

Hi Sensi  :bg

I too was dreading this day - although I knew it would come - sniff. Beieng in the same boat as you -> re : XP2600,
I guess it's time to save up some money for the inevitable upgrade. I guess it's too late to blame any-one now.
Draakie

PS : I assume the game developer knew that SSE2 was required RE : SPecs given // Thus a simple test for CPU features
      would have liberated the result earlier - instead of the crappy GPF. Far be it for me to say "Bad programming practice",
      does this not go to the very fabric of the current trend of "Bloat-ware" gaming studio's just chasing technology for
      technology sake because it will get the game out faster - instead of upping the quality of the production by employing
      reasonable checks and balances.  -- All said and done - they did write it on the packaging..... sigh
Does this code make me look bloated ? (wink)

sinsi

Oh well, ML64 here I come.

Draakie: How's those All Black buggers eh? Tri-nations and Bledesloe... :'(
Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them.

gabor

Hi!

Maybe its time to consider a change to linux seriously? :)

The Microsoft-Intel lobby is getting really cheeky, don't you think? :'( To install Vista and let it run properly I'd need a new CPU though my current is not that bad. I also should change to the new "high-speed" RAMs. This means new motherboard and the bottom line is that except my HDD, DVD and the computer case everything has to be upgraded.
I remember the times when I used my good ol' C64. No upgrades, no booting, no crashing, no stupid instructions.  :8)

What can we do: stand in the line and suffor quietly...

Greets, Gábor

sinsi

Quote from: gabor on July 26, 2007, 06:45:34 AM
Maybe its time to consider a change to linux seriously? :)
Unfortunately, my box is pretty much dedicated to games (and of course ASM/Delphi/VB6  :bg) and not many games run on Linux...

"You pays yer money and takes yer chances"

ramguru

I'm sure everyone is aware of upcoming revolutionary game Bioshock and its (revolutionary) system requirements:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo processor
System RAM: 2GB
Video card:
DX9: Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512MB RAM (NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT or better)
DX10: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 or better
Sound Card: Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ series (Optimized for use with Creative Labs EAX ADVANCED HD 4.0 or EAX ADVANCED HD 5.0 compatible sound cards)

Quote from: sinsi on July 26, 2007, 06:56:21 AM
Unfortunately, my box is pretty much dedicated to games
Now I'm certain you meant DOS games, didn't you  :lol

sinsi

Quote from: ramguru on July 26, 2007, 07:27:48 AM
Now I'm certain you meant DOS games, didn't you  :lol
Nah, those bootable 5 1/4" floppies...aah, Defender of the Crown, in glorious CGA...no need for DOS here.

Anyway, the minimum specs for Dirt:
----------------------
Minimum Specifications
----------------------

- Windows XP
- DirectX 9.0c
- Pentium 4 @ 3.0GHz or Athlon 64 3000+
- 1GB RAM.
- Graphics Card: GeForce 6800 / Radeon X1300 or above
- DirectX Compatible Sound Card
- Dual Layer Compatible DVD-ROM Drive
- 12.5 Gb Hard Drive Space
but it doesn't say "processor with SSE2" (well, explicitly anyway).

ramguru

implicitly says
from wiki:

All models support: MMX, SSE, SSE2, Enhanced 3DNow!, NX bit, AMD64 (AMD's x86-64 implementation), Cool'n'Quiet
Athlon 64 3000+    2000 MHz    512 KiB    800 MHz    10x    1.50 V    89 W    Socket 754