News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

ESI/EDI with Win98/XP

Started by raymond, April 24, 2007, 02:06:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raymond

A short while ago, I was modifying one of my programs for a custom application, and everything was working perfectly under WinXP. However, when I later tested the program under Win98, it was freezing the computer with a black screen. :eek

After wasting several days trying various modifications to solve that problem, it turned out that the problem was simply due to the ESI/EDI registers being exchanged in a subroutine due to the inadvertant poping of those registers in the wrong order before returning to the main window procedure. :red

It would thus seem that WinXP simply does not care whether the ESI/EDI registers are preserved or not for the operating system, as opposed to the Win98 OS which seems to rely heavily on their preservation.

Raymond
When you assume something, you risk being wrong half the time
http://www.ray.masmcode.com

ic2

AMEN
In my project i have a clean all register proc and Window95 as well as Windows98 do not allow me to xor edi, edi ever, anywhere, NADA, and if i do it crash the system every time.  I tried to tell people.  Most thought i was nuts.  Then i start believing that i did screw up somewhere.  Maybe i still did but, i just lived with it.  But i douth it.

XP seems to allow anything.  I would even swear to that.  I seen it all when i am  switch back and forth for testing.  All kind of Crazy sh*t that no one would ever believe. So darn much i switch up so fast to match up back up, before i forget  what caused the error.  I still love Windows95 and happy to know that you seem to found the problem.  Anyway, that's when Microsoft put their all into it before the Internet took off.  That when it all went down.  All for the dollar but that's business.  Xp is screwing the programmer for their future ventures.

I re-test with 95 religiously to date.  ...  Bottom line it was a Bi*ch mentally for a long time and still is really.  That's where all my time went...