News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

visual studio 2005?

Started by sMoKe, March 10, 2007, 12:13:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sMoKe

(probably has been asked on this forum already..)
hi i wanted to write assembly w/ masm 6.15 in visual studio 2005 so i can also step through if i wanted to debug.

i tried googling info about it. i just cant understand what im doing wrong, assembly code just wont run :(

please help

Ehtyar

You're going to have to do a LOT better than that if you want help here. For one, we'll need your code if you're certain that is where the problem lies, and two, the steps your taking to debug your code. On a side note, be sure you're telling masm and link that you want debugging symbols, you can find these options by typing "ml /?" and "link /?" on the command line where ml.exe and link.exe exist in your environment's path.

Ehtyar.

u

compile your asm file (let's assume its name is proc2.asm) with the following custom-build command:
\masm32\bin\ml.exe /coff /c /Zi /Zd proc2.asm
Set the "Outputs" of the custom-build as "proc2.obj"

Btw, if you create the .asm file and then include it into the project ( "Add->Existing Item...." ), VS2k5 will/should ask you whether this file should be compiled via "Microsoft Macro Assembler". If yes, it'll use MASM 8.0x (its own ml.exe) to compile your code - which is begging for problems if your code uses macros and becomes complex.
Please use a smaller graphic in your signature.

sluggy

smoke,
VS2005 this is the only way i write my asm. I am currently working on a language addin that gives syntax colouring and grammatical parsing for MASM. The syntax colouring is complete, i am (still) working on the yacc rules. If you don't mind red squigglies showing up in the wrong place i can release an alpha version of this plugin to you to have a play with.

As for setting up a new project in VS2005, i wrote fairly comprehensive instructions on how to do it, you can find it in the old forum here. Those instructions should still work for VS2005, but having said that VS2005 is way more intelligent than VS2003 and may dio a lot of the work necessary if you create a straight .asm file.