News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Questions about the Masm32 Licence Agreement

Started by TomRiddle, December 09, 2006, 07:23:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JM

Thank you so much Hutch for your speedy responce.

So in essence, I should be able to create a compiler that WILL run in Windows. And that will allow me to make the compiler FOR windows which in turn i'll use the program to create an OS. In that respect, i'm still within the rules of the license agrreement because MASM is NOT directly making it for an OS. It's a loophole.  :U

Also, from your response, if I get this correctly, I will be able to make my stuff Open source ONLY if I ask Microsoft for permission.

Are these true?

Again, that you Mr. Hutch. Your awesome!!   :toothy

JM

hutch--

Having bothered to read this last post again, the point still needs to be made that there is no method of stepped delegation that will allow Microsoft free to use binaries to be used on either a non Microsoft OS or in an open source project. To address the next vacuous example of building a compiler with a free to use Microsoft binary, something that is highly unlikely, if the end result is used to develop software for another OS or an open source project, it is in violation of the Microsoft licence.

As is normally the case, if you wish to develop for a non Microsoft OS or an open source project, you should be using the tools supplied by the OS vendor or the open source movement.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

JM

TomRiddle

Here is my biggest worry.

Suppose I wrote a program that could be assembled under Masm and Nasm.  What if this program was assembled using Masm, for Windows.  But was also assembled by Nasm for use in Linux.  For the sake of argument, lets say every line was exactly the same.  What would my rights be?

What if the program itself ran natively in OS X, Windows, Linux, and DOS?

This question is pretty important to me, because I write all my code Masm(6.00 & 6.14.8444)/Tasm(3.2) compatible.

Thanks again for being our Lawyer hutch- :lol

Here is the example I wrote, 2 lines are different in the headers, Win has 1 more to use Kernel32, aside from that DefineProgram could easily be put into the command line.  How hard would it be to add Linux to the Os with an ARM Cpu?

-=- DOS Header -=-
Include BSM\Core.mac
DefineProgram 8086, 16, Dos, Small, 200h
DefinePackage Gen
StartData
  Include GenData.mac
EndData
StartProgram
  Include GenProg.mac
EndProgram

-=- Win Header -=-
Include BSM\Core.mac
DefineProgram 386, 32, Windows
DefinePackage Gen
DefineLibrary kernel32
StartData
  Include GenData.mac
EndData
StartProgram
  Include GenProg.mac
EndProgram

-=- GenData -=-
GenData is Blank :(

-=- GenProg -=-
StartPrinting
PrintString "Create/Delete Directory: "
  CreateDir "Test", ErrorLabel
  DeleteDir "Test", ErrorLabel
  PrintString "Ok"
  Exit

ErrorLabel:
  PrintString "Error"
  Exit

PBrennick

Tom,
If I may be so bold, you seem to be nitpicking, here.

Paul
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website

hutch--

Tom,

Its the same answer as above, there is no stepped or conditional derivation of licence that will allow Microsoft Free To Use tools to be used for Open soure software or for another OS that is not sold by Microsoft. The simple answer for the MASM32 Project is NO, it is specific to the licence it comes with. Any deviation would require a seperate licence agreement from the vendor Microsoft and trust me here, you don't want to bother trying to get licence for an Open Source or non-Microsoft OS usage of MASM.

As normal, use the tools supplied by the vendor for the OS you are targetting or if its Open Source, use Open Source tools for your project.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

TomRiddle

Alright guys, I'm pretty sure I got the gist of it. :)

Thank you again for all your help.