News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

PROBLEMS WITH WINDOWS MASM

Started by VMBC_Neo, December 03, 2006, 08:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VMBC_Neo

Hello everybody!. I have got a problem with windows assembler. This is I can't get this commad run. I open the console (In Windows XP sp1) and I write masm follow by .asm file name. When I push enter to execute the windows assembler nothing happens, only a message to say me that this command is not be recognized like a internal or external command... I need this assembler to my university work. somebody know the way to activate or make work this command? This happens since i format my system, but previously i had used this command without problems. Thanks. (Excuse my english if is too bad).

ragdog

VMBC_Neo

I only need the masm command. The problem is that this command not run in symbol system (I don't know if this is in this way in english... -is the windows xp DOS emulator-) although in another chances it runs.

ragdog

do you mean that

you make a compile.cmd and copy in your project

c:\masm32\bin\cvtres.exe /machine:ix86 rsrc.res
c:\masm32\bin\ml.exe /c /coff source.asm
c:\masm32\bin\link.exe /SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS source.obj rsrc.obj

if exist *.obj del *.obj
pause

MichaelW

Hi VMBC_Neo,

What version of MASM do you have? Starting with MASM 6.0 the assembler was named ML.EXE, instead of MASM.EXE. For version 6.0 ML.EXE was a DOS program, but for the more recent versions, like the version 6.14 that is included in the MASM32 package, ML.EXE is a Win32 program (although it can still assemble DOS programs).

When you specify a program using only the program name Windows searches the current directory, and then any directories listed in your PATH environment variable. If the program cannot be found, then Windows returns an error. If the program is not in the current directory, or in any of the directories listed in your PATH environment variable, then you must specify the path to the program. For example:

\masm32\bin\ml.exe

To assemble and link your program you must use the correct command lines. If you are creating a 16-bit DOS program, then you must use a 16-bit linker. See recent posts in this forum for more information.
eschew obfuscation

VMBC_Neo

Thank you for your help, Michael. That was my problem.