MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

which assembler is this?

Started by sancho1980, November 22, 2006, 11:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichaelW

Hi Paul,

I started using MASM before 6.0 appeared, when there was no /AT switch. I tested it just now, and it does work, but ML expects the 16-bit linker to be named LINK.EXE, instead of LINK16.EXE as I normally name it. You can specify an alternate linker, but for anything unusual you still need to know the linker command line syntax, so IMO it's easier, and simpler, to assemble and link in separate steps.
eschew obfuscation

MichaelW

Quote from: Zest on November 27, 2006, 03:55:33 AM
The question is if this book is worth buying considering its old materials?
I mean this book"The Undocumented PC".

I have the first edition, copyright 1994. To me it was definitely worth buying, and I have used it so much that it is falling apart, and when it's convenient to do so I will probably buy a later edition. But I use and work on relatively old hardware, and for that most of the information in the book is still applicable.
eschew obfuscation

PBrennick

I remember buying this book a long time ago tha t I bought that book. It was VERY useful to 'me,' whether or not it will be useful to you is inderterminant. You need to make your own decision. I like to know everything, though. Remember that most of those undocumented things are no long in use by recent CPUs so unless you have an old machine, I would say NO.

Michael,
Thanks for testing. I did, also. Like you, I do not use that method. It is good to know it, though, in case someone asks for help who is using it. I do not like to force my preferences on others, so I like to express ALL methods and leave the choice of methods to the learner.

Paul
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website

Zest

Hi,
Thanks Michael and Paul.
I have placed an order for purchasing this book.
Hopefuly it is not out of print and it's still available.

By the way, Michael, the last book you recommneded me purchase was put of print.
I mean "Undocumented DOS" by "Andrew Schulman"
http://www.awprofessional.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=0201570645&redir=1&rl=1

I couldn't find it anywere.
So I sent an email to its publisher to purchase at leat ane EBook version of the book.
Here is their response:
Response (Christine) 11/27/2006 11:13 AM
Dear Sourav Parmar,

Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately, the titles below are not available in an ebook format. Most of the titles are now out of print. We do not have stock or an ebook format for the texts.

Sincerely,

Christine
Customer Service

I don't know while they,as the publisher of this book, are having the full text for this book why they can't provide the ebook version.
There should exist a special policy behind thier response.
I really don't know how to obtain this book. :(
Seemingly,making a copy of this book or making an Ebook shouldn't be considered as a illegal action.
Because the publisher is reluctant and abandoned to support the book.
I wish I could get my hands on this book just for a week,and then I could make a nice ebook.

In my humble opinion,the best way is to talk to the Author of this book who is "Andrew Schulman".
I don't know how to obtain his email address and how to contact him.
Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Zest.

EDIT:
UPDATE

This is their recent answer to my request:

Response (Christine) 12/01/2006 02:38 PM
Dear Sourav,

I am sorry, I have checked with our Editorial department and we are not allowed to give out Author contact information. Please try contacting an Out of Print bookstore for assistance in locating the titles below.

Sincerely,

Christine
Customer Service
The fact is that I don't have access to any Out of Print bookstores otherwise I could purchase one.
I know that the greatest library in the world whch is known as Library of Congress has the Ebook version.

http://catalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?v1=2&ti=1,2&Search%5FArg=undocumented%20dos&Search%5FCode=TALL&CNT=25&PID=28550&SEQ=20061201225313&SID=2

As the last resort I should ask for a ridiculous request to the publisher.
This might be efficient.

Regards,
Zest.

LouisStDubois

Hi.  Just thought that I would put in my two cents worth and say that I've had a great deal of success finding old and out-of-print books on Alibris.  If it exists, they can find it.  Good luck! 

LouisStDubois

Hi again.  I just check with Alibris.  They have two copies (one first edition) of The Undocumented PC and one copy of the book Undocumented DOS.  So there you are, and you're very welcome.

Zest

Hi,
Thanks LouisStDubois for your help.
But I have already placed an order for these books through an institute in ENGLAND which is known as SALBOOK.
I just have to check their proforma invoice and then try to purchase from the one which  offers the books in cheaper cost.
SAL UK LTD .  PO BOX 312  LONDON – SE3 – 7TS – UK.  TEL : 0208 694 1294 
FAX : 0208 691 1927  EMAIL: SALUK@DIAL.PIPEX.COM
UK REG . NO : 1950057

It's also funny to know that at last, Christine from Addison Wesly admitted that they want to sell the books in Ebook format but they can't.It's because they are under the dominance of an organization which is known as Pearson Education.(Let's call it an IDOL!)
The idol has come to know that these books have been out of print.So as this understanding is made,
the text of these books is not worth even referencing and should be considered obsolete.
When this tag is made by the IDOLthe publication can't do anything ,because any action by the publication is considered as a defiance to the rule made by the IDOL.
Neither the publication nor I have enough power before the sacred throne of the IDOL.
There we just can kiss the ground and ask for prosperity.
That's all.

Regards,
Zest.