News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Optimization manual updated again. Now covers Core 2

Started by agner, August 14, 2006, 07:40:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agner

I have updated my manual once again. Now covering everything about the new Intel Core 2 processor including a detailed study of the pipeline and execution units and complete lists of instruction timings.

This time my manual has come before the official manuals from Intel. Their software manuals for the Core 2 are not out yet. Thank you to a friendly person who gave me remote access to a prerelease sample of the Core 2. This enabled me to test almost everything.

The execution core is more powerful than anything we have seen until now. It can do up to three full 128-bit vector calculations per clock cycle. Unfortunately, the instruction fetch and predecode stage has not been expanded enough to keep up with the rest of the pipeline, so this is a serious bottleneck in many situations.

The section on AMD microarchitecture in my manual has also been revised, thanks to help from Andreas Kaiser.

http://www.agner.org/optimize/

MazeGen

You work is really unique. Thanks for your hard work, agner :U

Ghirai

Very nice, thanks for your work.

Would it be okay to add the asm manual to my mirror (link in my signature)?
MASM32 Project/RadASM mirror - http://ghirai.com/hutch/mmi.html

drhowarddrfine

BogdanOntanu

Ambition is a lame excuse for the ones not brave enough to be lazy.
http://www.oby.ro

stanhebben

I found a little error in the optimization manual:

At page 74, you state that the only way to load unaligned data in XMM registers is to use MOVDQU, MOVUPS, MOVUPD or LDDQU. You can use MOVLPD/MOVHPD pairs, which results in faster code.

Stan

gabor

Hello agner!

Thanks for your work! It is very nice to see people who do a lot of work in a specific area and are ready to share the gained knowledge! Thank you again!
I had a look on your website. There are interessting topics! This Cultural Selection Theory looks very exciting....

Greets, Gábor

gwapo

Great work, thanks!
I thought Mark Larson's "Code Optimization" is already the best optimization document I've got. I guess multiple "the best" documents are always better than having single "the best" document  :U

\
-chris

agner

Your link to Mark Larson doesn't work. Where is the document you are referring to?

PBrennick

Agner,
The link works just fine.  Please try it again.  The server may have been down when you last tried.

Paul
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website

KSS

theunknownguy

Agner you rulz ! thanks so much my favorite read for optimization  :dance:

dedndave

clive

Quote from: dedndave
you guys have woken a 4 year old thread   :P

Can we dig up the zombie P4 designers that removed the barrel shifter, and beat them to death again?

-Clive
It could be a random act of randomness. Those happen a lot as well.