MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Recommend a usable free debugger!

Started by gabor, July 18, 2006, 07:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gabor

Hello!

Since I fully agree with the free software concept and initiatives I try to use free and shareware softwares as tools. Now I am looking for a handy reliable and efficient and FREE debugger to be able to revise and trace my code. Is there any tool with such potential?
Please tell me about your experiences!

Thanks

Gábor

gwapo

Vortex

Gabor,

Have a look at OllyDbg, it's a very powerfull tool :

http://www.ollydbg.de/

zooba

I second OllyDbg.

I've tried at least 5 different debuggers and Olly is easily the best, at least for assembly programming.

Ghirai

MASM32 Project/RadASM mirror - http://ghirai.com/hutch/mmi.html

gwapo

Isn't OllyDBG is distributed with MASM32 package?

Mincho Georgiev

For me the best windows debugger /for assebler purposes also/ is windbg and vc++ 8's debugger but they're a one and same thing except the better interface of vc's one.
The fake complexity of windbg's interface shouldn't scare the user so mutch. Soon after you getting familliar with this debugger, you realize that for source level debugging purposes nothing is competitive enough.

Vortex

Quote from: gwapo on July 18, 2006, 09:18:58 AM

No, it's not distributed with the Masm32 package.

ToutEnMasm

With the debugging tools , debugging is made with your own sources files.Olydbg don't make that.
What is important with a debugger is what he find,and the last version of windbg don't let many chances at the bug.
Using it also is easy.Launch your prog with windbg and use your prog normally.When you are stopped,you have got a bug.
                                             ToutEnMasm

Vortex

QuoteWith the debugging tools , debugging is made with your own sources files.Olydbg don't make that.

That's not the case. With Ollydbg, you can do source level debugging.

Wistrik

I'll add my recommendation for Ollydbg. It's got a slight learning curve, but is otherwise easy to use and powerful, which are good things in a free-of-charge program.

I also have the debugger that came with VC 6 Standard, but I only see it if an application crashes and I click the Debug button on the exception dialog box.

Mark Jones

Quote from: Vortex on July 18, 2006, 02:59:52 PM
QuoteWith the debugging tools, debugging is made with your own sources files. Olydbg don't make that.

Well... you need to link with the /DEBUG option to produce a .PDB file. OllyDbg can read those and show you the source in another window. Note it cannot read the concatinated debug data present in POLINK'ed executables. Hopefully OllyDbg v2.0 can do this (whenever it is released...)
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

Telefunken

gwapo

Quote from: Vortex on July 18, 2006, 10:46:59 AM
Quote from: gwapo on July 18, 2006, 09:18:58 AM

No, it's not distributed with the Masm32 package.

Thanks, I looked at my files and I found OllyDBG in my system., I guess, maybe I got the debugger from one of the free asm IDEs I downloaded. Probably it's redistributed by WinAsm.

-chris

gwapo

Quote from: Vortex on July 18, 2006, 02:59:52 PM
QuoteWith the debugging tools , debugging is made with your own sources files.Olydbg don't make that.

WinDBG can also perform source level debugging, as well as disassembling if there's no debugging information available.
In any case, there's no real point in making the two compete with each other., they are both powerful and free  :U

-chris