News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Favorite [portable] editor with highlighting?

Started by p0wder, July 10, 2006, 09:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shantanu Gadgil

QuoteI'm using Windows XP SP4.
Huh? What???  :dazzled: :dazzled: :dazzled:  :cheekygreen: :cheekygreen:

Win2K + SP4 (four) OR
WinXP + SP2 (two)
To ret is human, to jmp divine!

Mincho Georgiev

SP4 doesn't exists ! Sorry to say that but is some kind of piracy try so i cannot guarantee anything under that. Sorry. Besides as i mention it , this is a just BETA demo and offcource is not neither a bug-free release nor testet on various OS. It will be further.

mnemonic

Quote from: shaka_zulu on July 14, 2006, 09:40:54 AM
No ! It just contains Scintilla. If you think is large you can see NP++ And other Scintilla based editors that are bigger than 600kb!
Sure, but NP++ has a lot more features than that what you built, so the comparison is quite invalid.

Quote from: shaka_zulu on July 14, 2006, 09:40:54 AM
Besides i prefare quality!
Since when is qualitiy related to size (not quantity!)?

This discussion is going offtopic, btw.
Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.--Plato
-------
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Mincho Georgiev

Since when is qualitiy related to size (not quantity!)?

Since using of a High-Quality edit control ,witten in c++ !.
Notepad has alot of features, but that's not the reason to be so big,and it's because it's entirely written in c++!
And in case that you haven't note this, xcomponent dont use Scintilla.dll, instead it has Scintilla.lib built in! Otherwise it propably be no more tha 50kb's. So, you can compare a 600kb NP++ that use Scintilla.dll externally and xcomponent that is about 300k with the built-in control.
Quality means Quality, and somethimes that means also C++,OOP, get use to it!
In case that you haven't enough space on your HDD, dont waste your time and use another editor.

Casper

Size has absolutely NOTHING to do with quality.  In fact, usually a large size means less quality.  By the way, I have the Scintilla source, I got it because I knew you would use that excuse,it does not fly.

Paul

Mincho Georgiev

That is not an excuse or comersial !
Feel Free to use RichEdit  :U

Casper

As you can see from my GeneSys project, I will and I have and my editor is far more functional than yours at a tenth the size.  Having said that, you can feel free to make your reply and I will stop bashing your work.  It is what you like and if you feel comfortable with the bloat, well that is your choice.  I feel that you are a good assembly coder and have made a bad choice but then, that is my choice.

Paul

Mincho Georgiev

far more functional
:bg
You're funny.

Just to save the good friendly tone, i'm stopping this nonsence discussion here!
You can say and post whatever you want to.
Take care !

u

Quote from: Casper on July 14, 2006, 03:07:15 PM
As you can see from my GeneSys project, I will and I have and my editor is far more functional ...
:cheekygreen: I liked the serious tone of the joke, it made my day  :green2 . But it was too prolongued... I hope it was a joke...
Size is excusable. But loading times are not. Especially if every time you have to wait for a splashscreen.
Please use a smaller graphic in your signature.

Casper

If you don't like the splash screen in the Genesys project you do not even need to recompile it, just delete the DLL and the call will quietly fail.  It was purposely designed that way.

Paul

Vortex

Hi Paul,

I like your editor and it's going to be a very usefull tool :U

Casper

Vim is certainly a nice editor.  For years, whenever I did sysop work I used the UNIX predecessor that has been around for years (Vi).  It was the best way to make manpages as it was not the usual commandline editor.

Paul

gwapo

Quote from: shantanu_gadgil on July 14, 2006, 10:24:40 AM
QuoteI'm using Windows XP SP4.
Huh? What???  :dazzled: :dazzled: :dazzled:  :cheekygreen: :cheekygreen:

Win2K + SP4 (four) OR
WinXP + SP2 (two)

Sorry, obviously it was a typo error., I am working with both Win2K SP4 and WinXP SP2, and I must have mixed them up. Lack of sleep is not good  :red

Cheers,

-chris

gwapo

Quote from: shaka_zulu on July 14, 2006, 11:23:53 AM
SP4 doesn't exists ! Sorry to say that but is some kind of piracy try so i cannot guarantee anything under that. Sorry. Besides as i mention it , this is a just BETA demo and offcource is not neither a bug-free release nor testet on various OS. It will be further.

Yes, I understand it was a beta version, hence not tested in all conditions., and I made a mistake in typing my correct service pack number as shantanu_gadgil pointed. Anyway, though I can only open (not create), xComponent is really good.

Cheers,

-chris