News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Digital camera raw picture loading?

Started by Milos, June 14, 2006, 11:23:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milos

Is there any library for loading pictures stored in the raw format?

Tedd

What would be 'raw' format?
Most cameras appear to store the images as jpeg, and often with a fat file-system. The other 'standard' is twain, which I think there is support in windows.
Depending on the camera you may be able to access it like a normal drive volume.
No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible.

Milos

I have this application for detecting duplicate and near duplicate pictures and a few users asked if I could add support for raw format.
My camera only stores in JPEG but there are some that can also store raw  uncompressed data that was gathered from the sensor along with all other information about the conditions in which the picture was taken. I looked around google but I didn't find much info except that MS has a free tool for viewing raw pictures and that on linux there is some dscraw.c thing that does converting from all different raw formats (there are tons of them, not only one) to PPM (what ever that format is).

Any help is appreciated.

Phoenix

You can find informations about lots of graphic formats (including *.ppm and *.raw) here:

http://www.wotsit.org/

However, *.raw seems not to be a "format" like *.bmp or *.gif, you have to know if the bytes are stored RGB, BGR, CMY, CMYK or whatever - depending on the type of camera... good luck!

hutch--

Hi Milos,

Where ya been so long ?

I own a digital Pentax that wil do both but the RAW format is no better than the high resolution JPG it outputs so I just use the high resolution JPG and it works fine.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

Casper

The raw formats differ from camera to camera and are proprietory.  I doubt that you will find what you are looking for and if you did it would be a monumental task to satisfy the needs of all potential users.  It is better to have them use the JPG output method.

The Casio for example has a raw format that is almost impossible to find a converter for never mind API stuff.

Casper

Mark Jones

I have a FujiFilm FinePix S5100 which can do RAW format. I could post an image if it would help.
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

Milos

Thank for your replies, whotsit will sure help with ppm.

Mark, it would be great if you could share one raw picture, just so I can see what it is about and it would sure be nice to have at least one picture to play with when giving dcraw.c a shot. :U I hope it can be compressed, I guess raw is pretty large.

Hutch - I am bussy with the university and life in general so I only occationaly stop by to see if there is something new going.

Mark Jones

Hello Milos, here is a raw image of some flowers. It is 5.6MB compressed, 8MB uncompressed. Paint Shop Pro 9 won't display it, but Picasa2 will, however the colors are a little funky - probably because RAW format is uncorrected. Good luck! :U
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08