MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

HddMon - The Next Generation

Started by Phoenix, April 25, 2006, 09:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asmrixstar

I had the same problem with the system icons the trick is :
Use Loadimage api instead of Loadicon which seems to screw up colors!

I learned this from CPUIdle ! thx

Phoenix

Thanks a lot asmrixstar!

I have changed ExtractIcon to LoadImage. If anyone has the time, and a W2K box, could you give it a try and tell me how the icons look like? Thanks!

[attachment deleted by admin]

hutch--

It looks fine on my win2k sp4. I found the Alpha setting, set it to zero and the greyed look went away. I started a few large programs and the light indicators appear to work by disk drive rather than partition. It correctly lists all of the fixed drived and when I select the option Detected Drives, it should the other three, 2 CDs and a floppy.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

MichaelW

Quote from: Phoenix on April 30, 2006, 03:12:09 PM
QuoteI have had it running for 22 hours now, and the accumulated CPU time is 51 seconds. An average utilization of .06% is probably low enough
MichaelW, how did you measure this?!

I just opened up Task Manager and on the Processes tab read the CPU Time for the HddMon process. I had recorded the time when I started it so I knew how long it had been running.

eschew obfuscation

PBrennick

Phoenix,
I have a sense of humor so I did not mind that I was driven crazy for a bit after setting Alpha to 90% and the details disappeared and would not come back.  Once it occurred to me, I had to guess, as you say nothing, that it might just be invisible and then had to guess where to right click to get the Alpha setting submenu so I could make it visible again.  Don't you think you should make a provision for idiots such as myself who just like to play to see if I can cause an app to groan?  Especially if you start allowing docking in various places?

Paul
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website

Phoenix

MichaelW, i did not know about that feature  :red

PBrennick: I'm sorry for driving you crazy  :(, but on my monitor i can see the details window even with an Alpha of 90%. So you think the maximum selectable Alpha percentage should be, lets say 50 or 60%?

PBrennick

Phoenix,
My goodness, don't do that!!  Just give us a way to alter the Alpha settings from the two icons (right click) in the notification area.

I do not think this problem is unique to my machine but maybe to laptops?  I do not know but all I know is that I don't think you should cripple your efforts!  I love your program and even though it is not dockable yet, I already have it in my startup.

Paul

Phoenix

OK, alter the Alpha settings from notification area icons is on the "to do" list...
Quoteand even though it is not dockable yet
Dockable to what? It should - hopefully - dock to screen edges. Do you think of (permanent) docking to other windows? Well, that seems to be a more complex and difficult task for me... Enumerate all windows, ok; check if we are close to their borders, ok; but what is to to if these windows are about being moved, minimized or whatever?

PBrennick

Phoenix,
I just want to be able to move it and dock it top right of the desktop where I am docking the AppLoader utility.  We already discussed this once before.

BTW:  If I am currently showing Details, should it not keep that setting even when the machine is rebooted (by utilizing HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\HddMon).

Paul

PBrennick

Phoenix, sorry to be a pain but there is one more problem.  Even though I right click the invisible area and change the alpha to zero percent and get a visible detail window when I reboot and click show details, I am back to an invisible details window and when I right click it it is back to 90%.  I think you should update the registry whenever the Alpha setting is modified.

Paul

Phoenix

PBrennick,

in attached file is HddMon with a couple of changes:

• The Registry is updated with WM_ENDSESSION message; i do not want to cause HddMon any traffic on disk - only on startup of course and on exit, thats why i do no registry updates while running. WM_ENDSESSION should work fine.
  • On startup the details window is restored to the last status it had on application exit.
  • If you cannot find the details window because of too much transparency, just take the "Reset Alpha" option from notification icons menu.  :lol

However, i'm sorry, but i cannot understand (perhaps because of my bad english) whats going wrong with docking on screen edges? It should work....

PBrennick

Phoenix,
I like the program as it is and it is too difficult to address the language barrier, so I think I will be thankful for all your efforts and run it the way you designed it.

One thing, though, for example; if the details window is dockable tell me how to dock it in the top, right hand corner of the desktop?

EDIT: I forgot to say thanks for addressing all my concernes in this last update!

Paul

PBrennick

Phoenix,
I have tested the changes and everthing works.  I feel confident when I play with the program, now, and no longer worry that things will become a problem.

Paul

Phoenix

Paul,

thank you very much for your support and patience!

Please let me ask one more question: is a "docking" window a window that has a small bar (lets say ~6 pix wide) visible on screen and shows its contents when you move the mouse over it? Something like biteriders startbar posted on this forum?

In last posted version is a bug: it does not update the drives in details window if "reported" mode is selected and an additional supported drive is added/removed. Fixed in attached file.

Phoenix

Mark Jones

Hi Phoenix, would it be possible to add a toggle to hide the two tray icons? The new icons and docking bar look great by the way. :bg

p.s. I've always thought that a "docking" window meant it was "self-aligning" to another window or edge of the screen (so it is working correctly.)
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08