News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Disappearing act

Started by skywalker, March 07, 2006, 03:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skywalker

I got SP2 sucessfully installed and activated. That's the good part.

It can't find my modem that SP1 had no problem finding.

It's a Conexant V92 which is the current standard. Maybe because it isn't Plug and Pray.

Thanks.

drhowarddrfine

Yep.  You need to go to the control panel and "Add Hardware" but you'll need a copy of the drivers to install.

skywalker

Quote from: drhowarddrfine on March 07, 2006, 04:17:47 PM
Yep.  You need to go to the control panel and "Add Hardware" but you'll need a copy of the drivers to install.

I found out that Conexant has an .exe that overwrites windows default modem drivers. Then you gotta tell Windows that's it's OK.

When looking thru the picks for the modem drivers that Windows had available, they only offered
a generic one for each modem speed. No name brands of any kind.

Glad they had phone support for the activation.

Afraid I have to gave a D- for the driver development team at Microsoft.

:-)

Take care,
                Andy

MichaelW

AFAIK if Windows does not have a specific (non-generic) driver for a mainstream device that is older than the release of Windows, then it's because the manufacturer did not provide a driver, or did not provide a properly certified driver that Microsoft would accept. "Then you gotta tell Windows that's it's OK" suggests to me that the Conexant driver is not certified.
eschew obfuscation

skywalker

Quote from: MichaelW on March 11, 2006, 10:46:34 PM
AFAIK if Windows does not have a specific (non-generic) driver for a mainstream device that is older than the release of Windows, then it's because the manufacturer did not provide a driver, or did not provide a properly certified driver that Microsoft would accept. "Then you gotta tell Windows that's it's OK" suggests to me that the Conexant driver is not certified.

Conexant went to the hardware level and wrote a fix that replaces the generic driver on XP.
When I had SP1 on my computer, the modem was certified and running fine. :-)

Works like a champ now.

PBrennick

Skywalker,
I find your story to be puzzling.  I rebuild my system very frequently because of all the test software I expose it to and my Conexant V.92 modem ALWAYS goes active with no problems.  The modem, by the way, is a soft56k modem which means it is not programmed at the hardware level which would be impossible anyway.  Software can be modified.  Firmware and Hardware, not.

Paul
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website

skywalker

Quote from: PBrennick on April 01, 2006, 11:49:37 AM
Skywalker,
I find your story to be puzzling.  I rebuild my system very frequently because of all the test software I expose it to and my Conexant V.92 modem ALWAYS goes active with no problems.  The modem, by the way, is a soft56k modem which means it is not programmed at the hardware level which would be impossible anyway.  Software can be modified.  Firmware and Hardware, not.

Paul

Are you running SP2 and if not your model must be different than mine.

MS went to a one-size fits all and we know how that works. :-)

Andy

PBrennick

Andy,
I suppose it is possible.  I am using SP2.  The modem's complete name is Conexant-Ambit Soft56k using the V.92 protocol.  It is a software programmable modem so is easily upgraded.  The earliest models of this modem were 33.6k and you ran a program to upgrade it to 56k.  That is probably what you have.  I am glad you were able to get it to work because it is a good little modem in my opinion and it is always satisfying when you get something to work.  Right?  :U

EDIT:  By the way have you ever explored http://www.driverguide.com

Paul
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website

skywalker

Quote from: PBrennick on April 02, 2006, 02:49:52 AM
Andy,
I suppose it is possible.  I am using SP2.  The modem's complete name is Conexant-Ambit Soft56k using the V.92 protocol.  It is a software programmable modem so is easily upgraded.  The earliest models of this modem were 33.6k and you ran a program to upgrade it to 56k.  That is probably what you have.  I am glad you were able to get it to work because it is a good little modem in my opinion and it is always satisfying when you get something to work.  Right?  :U

EDIT:  By the way have you ever explored http://www.driverguide.com

Paul

Conexant SmartHSFi V92 56K PCI  is what I have. I am real happy with it. It connects faster than my
previous modem.

Yes, I have been to the site on occasion.