News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Can I copy icons to another user acct. ?

Started by skywalker, March 01, 2006, 02:31:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skywalker

I read where it isn't good to have just an adminstrator account, so I created another user.
Can I copy all my icons, desktop over to it?

Thanks.

I was thinking of some file protection ideas.

Can you make a self-incrementing counter inside an app?

Use a modification of MS technique, check the equipment list for say the HD and monitor and see if their values
have changed.

Write a marker to a system file or one of the .ini files during installation and periodically check if it's still there.

Tedd

It's not a good idea to use an admin account for general use.
So does this new user have admin privelleges? If so, then there's little difference.

What do you mean by icons?
You can copy most of the settings, shortcuts, etc, from "documents and settings\<user_account>" Though obviously you'll want to be the admin to copy them into the new account. You can also put things into "All Users" which provides the same for each account, and the contents of "default user" one are copied to each new account on creation.
No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible.

skywalker

Quote from: Tedd on March 01, 2006, 12:21:38 PM
It's not a good idea to use an admin account for general use.
So does this new user have admin privelleges? If so, then there's little difference.

What do you mean by icons?
You can copy most of the settings, shortcuts, etc, from "documents and settings\<user_account>" Though obviously you'll want to be the admin to copy them into the new account. You can also put things into "All Users" which provides the same for each account, and the contents of "default user" one are copied to each new account on creation.

I'm the only user on my computer. My new user account with admin privileges only had about 6 icons compared to a lot more on my admin account. I can just manually add them back.

Tedd

The point of not giving the new account admin privelleges is not to protect you from other people using it, it's to protect you from yourself :bdg
It's all too easy to screw something up. If you don't have the power to totally destroy the system, it's a little insurance. Plus, if you work on a non-privelleged account, then any viruses/trojans/spyware will also not have those privelleges. Get the idea?
No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible.

Mark Jones

Try going to Start-->Run and type in MIGWIZ.  :toothy
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

skywalker

Quote from: Mark Jones on March 01, 2006, 05:46:26 PM

The wizard is for use when going from one computer to another. I just want to transfer them from one user on the same computer to another.

skywalker

Quote from: Mark Jones on March 01, 2006, 05:46:26 PM

Thanks.

I got it figured out last night. Now I am trying to figure out how to transfer my Netsape profile with my mail settings.

Would you know if there is a way to get Windows to default to detail view whenever any window opens ?

Mark Jones

Do you mean in Windows Explorer? (Not IE.) If so, yes. Tools-->Folder Options-->View.

skywalker

Quote from: Mark Jones on March 02, 2006, 08:23:03 PM
Do you mean in Windows Explorer? (Not IE.) If so, yes. Tools-->Folder Options-->View.

I am talking about setting something to avoid having to do the above.

I'll check and see if TweakUi has something.

Mark Jones

Tools-->Folder Options-->View-->Apply to All Folders?

skywalker

Quote from: Mark Jones on March 02, 2006, 09:46:52 PM
Tools-->Folder Options-->View-->Apply to All Folders?

I should have said when other apps open up files and they open up the file window where you pick a file.

Sorry for not being clear enuf.