News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Where is BIOS?

Started by dncprogrammer, February 25, 2006, 03:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichaelW

Unconditional jumps can be short, near, or far. For a short jump the displacement is encoded as a signed byte, with a range of -128 to +127. For a near jump, depending on the memory model and processor, the displacement can be encoded as a signed word, with a range of -32768 to +32767, or a signed dword, with a range of -2147483648 to +2147483647. Conditional jumps can be short, with a range of -128 to +127, or for the more recent processors, near, with a range of -32768 to +32767. MASM generates the shortest jump possible, unless the jump size is explicitly specified.

eschew obfuscation

dncprogrammer

Michael,
I hope you enjoy answering these questions because you are filling in the gaps for me like you wouldn't believe. I didn't really want to mention it but I don't use the Microsoft Assembler but the content of this forum goes worlds beyond MASM syntax which is where my interest is. Im not really into the high-level pseudo code. My interest is in really plain and simple assembly because I feel that it is much more educational for me. I use NASM, and I really like it. I know that probably isn't very acceptable to many of you but I really like the simplicity AND I like the fact that every procedure that I write it extermely close to the way that the machine actually operates. If I was in a production environment of some sort Im sure that MASM would be a lot easier, but this is an educational process for me. I own a CNC machine shop and I am a class A machinist. I have been a machine programmer for 12 years (G-Code) and I have been a BASIC programmer since the early 80's, nowadays VisualBasic. I write all of our PC software for the shop for process control, communicating with our CNC equipment, and some office control. I have studied quite extensively in serial communications and I am working on procedures, in asm, for communicating with my CNC equipment, just to learn more.

Thank you so much!

kerverusxp

excuse, indicate me as I can publish everything what it is related to the BIOS

dncprogrammer