News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

How to catch the dll entry point with WinDbg?

Started by Gustav, February 19, 2006, 11:05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gustav

Hello,

I want to debug an application which uses a dll (vim.exe + msys-1.0.dll) and want WinDbg to stop at the dll entry point. It seems impossible or am I missing something?

If WinDbg can't do that, which debugger can do? Without having to add a breakpoint in the msys sources and have to compile them!

Regards

Gustav

Gustav

sluggy

Quote from: Gustav on February 19, 2006, 11:33:49 AM

I managed to find the solution

You should mention what the solution was - your information may help someone in the future when they are trying to use google or the board search to find the answer.

Mincho Georgiev

WinDbg is mutch mutch more than it looks like. I remember that my first impression was "pfu ,what an awfully interface",.But couple of hourse after that i'd realized that i'm working with the powerfull source level debugger for windows that i ever seen /after SoftIce and Visual studio8's debugging environment/.
The finding of entry point is just one of it's features, you can use the cmd line of the debugger to passing arguments, declaring condition, and mutch more.
I like alot the ability of windbg to watching the memory location of a variable and how is changing. With the symbols that are provided by microsoft for the entire system  you can debug everything.
If you want to debug dll is very easy - it's enought to open the source file of the dll, then open executable that use that dll, setting a breakpoint in the dll's source and run the executable.

Gustav

> You should mention what the solution was

I use WinDbg v6.4. It allows to set event filters. I told the debugger to enable and handle event "Load Module". With this approach you dont need any source file.