News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Linux Implimentation of POASM? Please?

Started by MusicalMike, February 06, 2006, 05:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MusicalMike

I was wondering if Pelle has time, could he create a Linux Implimentation of POASM. I would just use my newly installed windows emulator, but I would also like to develope apps specifically for linux using POASM which as far as I know can't be done from an assembler running in a windows emulator. Thanks.

PellesC

At least for now it's more than enough to support Windows and Pocket PC - I have little interest in supporting Linux too...

Pelle

MusicalMike

O well, I guess Ill have to use GAS (which I have no problem with as long as the .intel_syntax noprefix dirrective is enabled) however, its going to take getting used to, and I am still not to crazy about the data declairation syntax, eg .ascii, .asciz, .int, etc.

Vortex

Mike,

If you are interested in Gas, you can find some win32 Gas codes posted to the forum. I think it can help you.

James Ladd

Mike,

If poASM isnt going to be multi-platform then ...

Here is a Gnu Assembler multi platform project.
It does very little, but it does compile on Windows (cygwin) and Linux.
The example creates a library and an executable to load and call a function
in that Library.

Rgs, James.

[attachment deleted by admin]

PBrennick

James,
Having to use Cygwin in order to compile under Windows means this is NOT a multi-platform Assembler.  In order for that to be true, it must be able to compile natively.

Paul
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website

Synfire

Why not do like I do and use NASM. You can import from the MingWC library files, to create portable applications, or code native on both systems using Linux System calls or WinAPI calls. If you look at nasm32-03-10-2006.zip (my last release before handing the project over to Keith) of the NASM32 project, it contains a file called LibC.mac which is used to make calling the MingWC functions much easier, and to allow for Linux/Windows development using the same source code (there is also a demo showing how to do this).

As for PellesC/PoASM supporting Linux. I would prefer it doesn't. I like PellesC/PoASM the way it is, ntm after years of programming on Linux/BSD systems using vim and gcc, which comes stock with the OS, I wouldn't care to download an extra development environment.

Regards,
Bryant Keller

PBrennick

Bryant,
I looked for your last release and could not find it.  Thanks for the link, I intend to do something with it.  About VIM, it is certainly better than VI!  Man, did I ever get tired of writing manpages for BSDi used VI!

Paul
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website

drhowarddrfine

Synfire

Quote from: PBrennick on August 27, 2006, 07:27:09 PMBryant,
I looked for your last release and could not find it.  Thanks for the link, I intend to do something with it.

When I started the NASM32 project page, I decided to keep archives of all of the versions I had on the ASMCommunity projects page. More or less for historical purposes. It also makes it easy to backtrack if need be. You can still get versions as far back as my 370.72 KB version posted on Dec. 09, 2005.

Quote from: PBrennick on August 27, 2006, 07:27:09 PMAbout VIM, it is certainly better than VI!  Man, did I ever get tired of writing manpages for BSDi used VI!

Paul

Yea, VIM is awesome, VI just had way too many quarks to it that I didn't like.

Quote from: drhowarddrfine on August 27, 2006, 11:35:58 PMFasm works in Linux and FreeBSD.

From what I'm told, LibC.mac is easily ported to FASM. You might ask around, I've heard from a few FASM users that there are several ports of it already out there.

Regards,
Bryant Keller

EDIT: As a side note, Keith has official rights to NASM32, I only help out when needed, but the LibC.mac is free for anyone to modify and redistribute as long as I'm credited for my part in whatever you do with it. I don't really care that much, but it would be a nice courtesy. But if you wish to port it to any assembler, go for it :)