News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

resident

Started by JHER VON ARBANEL, January 14, 2006, 03:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JHER VON ARBANEL

is there any way to declare resident a program, like in DOS mode????????????
heres another,, in DOS , u had interruptions to control every thing like the heads of a drive , athe number od spin ,etc can i do the same with masm32.

thx bye

MichaelW

Windows 9x, in particular Windows 98 First Edition, will allow a DOS program to do some of these things, but a normal Windows program cannot. Windows cannot allow programs to diddle directly with the hardware that it is running on. For a DOS application Windows "virtualizes" at least some of the hardware, allowing the DOS program access to what is effectively a copy of the hardware. AFAIK for all versions of Windows through Windows XP, this virtualization includes the VGA, the serial and parallel ports, and the floppy drives. For Windows 98 First Edition only, the virtualization included the hard drive.

I'm having trouble understanding why you would want to do this. Controlling the hardware at a low level is a difficult task, generally requiring complex code, and the required information is difficult to impossible to obtain. One of the major advantages of Windows is that it handles the hardware for you.

eschew obfuscation

gabor

Hello!

"One of the major advantages of Windows is that it handles the hardware for you." This is the basic concept of all OS APIs I think. I go further, to create a bunch of services that are available through an interface is a basic concept in IT. (Like in network architectures...)
I agree with Michael, except you want to create some code realizing special hardware access or control it is unnecessary and complicated to code low level hardware manipulation.
DOS residents were used for hooks as well, weren't they? For creating hooks there are WIN32 functions. Is this you want to archieve?

Greets, Gábor

sluggy

Are you trying to write a filter driver?