News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

"No touchy" document needed

Started by skywalker, November 23, 2005, 04:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skywalker

Someone at work has been altering an Excel document used to order supplies. Petty revenge thing.  I went to properties, security but there are too many choices.

I left an icon to the original document on the desktop. I want to keep the new copy of the document from being modified.

Thanks.

P1

Put in a "Password to Modify", that keeps out changes for the casual user.

Regards,  P1  :8)

sluggy

There may be too many options to choose from, but try looking at the document in either Notepad or a hex editor. The later versions of Office documents track all changes, and they store that info even when you set them not to - and this includes logging the user who changed it. You may be surprised what you find :)

tenkey

My simple-minded security method is simply to select the file or folder, and edit the list of names in the Properties -> Security tab. Basically, I add all users I want accessing the document or folder, including myself, and delete "Everyone".

Unfortunately, this will not protect you from someone that has admin privileges on that computer.

Can we assume your machine is networked?
A programming language is low level when its programs require attention to the irrelevant.
Alan Perlis, Epigram #8

skywalker

Quote from: tenkey on November 24, 2005, 08:19:53 AM
My simple-minded security method is simply to select the file or folder, and edit the list of names in the Properties -> Security tab. Basically, I add all users I want accessing the document or folder, including myself, and delete "Everyone".

Unfortunately, this will not protect you from someone that has admin privileges on that computer.

Can we assume your machine is networked?

I just did the password to modify option and hid the folder where the file is at.

No problems since I did that.