call crt_printf
add esp, 12
push 5000
call Sleep
leave

End Start

produced this output durring assemble

Assembling: C:\WinAsm\Projects\Scratch Pad2\floatingpoint\tut1.asm
C:\WinAsm\Projects\Scratch Pad2\floatingpoint\tut1.asm(35) : fatal error A1016: Internal Assembler Error

Ps. Incase you are wondering what the point of this code is, the answer is, there is no point, I know of many other ways to do what I am trying to do that works fine. The above is a translation of tutorial code from a Wrox Professional Assembly Language Book.

hutch--

Mike,

I don't know what this has to do with the MASM32 October version, it is a potential problem with ML.EXE. While ML covers most problems, it is not particularly hard to construct examples that will generate tis error, often if you redirect the /EP output to a file you will see the error type referenced to COFFEMIT.C at the bottom of the list.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

MusicalMike

I wasn't saying that it was a problem with the october release, but was implying that it was a "problem" that was still present as the october release. Since I know many "better" ways to write the above code, I should probably say, I don't believe its worth investigating. Thanks

raymond

The use of code such as:

fld 43.65

has never been (and probably never will be) accepted by the MASM assembler (i.e. ML.EXE) which is part and parcel of the MASM32 package. Many macros have been posted to circumvent that "problem" which generally consist in initializing a variable in the data section and then accessing that variable with the fld instruction. It is certainly not a "bug".

(MusicalMike: You probably know how to code it correctly but this post is aimed to those who may not yet be familiar with the FPU set of instructions allowed by the MASM assembler.)

Raymond
When you assume something, you risk being wrong half the time
http://www.ray.masmcode.com

MusicalMike

I know, but I didn't want to retype the whole .data section where I correctly labeled 80 bit blocks of memory containing the respective floating point values, but didn't want to retype it, and it was late, and I was too tired to think to copy/paste the code.