News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

win32asm textbook?

Started by marla, October 07, 2005, 03:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marla

i ordered two texts on amazon that are both supposed to be applicable to masm. however, it seems from reviews, that every 32 bit book that even uses masm sucks.

i'm one of those people that is online most of the day, but prefers to read an actual book when taking a shit, or sitting on a daily 3 hour total commute.

any pointers (pointers not meaning an instruction but an idea for myself) here? even a college textbook ...

OceanJeff32

the assembly programming master book by vlad pirogov is excellent, and covers MASM32, and TASM32

the author has a unique teaching philosophy.

enjoy,

jeff c
:U
Any good programmer knows, every large and/or small job, is equally large, to the programmer!

sluggy

Quote from: marla on October 07, 2005, 03:43:05 AM
i ordered two texts on amazon that are both supposed to be applicable to masm. however, it seems from reviews, that every 32 bit book that even uses masm sucks.
That is probably because there is actually *two* parts to Win32 asm programming: Win32 programming, and asm programming. For the Win32 component, you can't go past the Petzgold books, they are in C but are very easy to understand and apply to asm. And as for asm programming - that is the easy bit, all you have to do is string opcodes/mnemonics together  :toothy

OceanJeff32

Sluggy is right, the general attitude in the book I recommended...if you can make one Windows API call, you can make them all!!

It's learning what each API call does, and how they work together.

...It's not the size of the nose that matters, it's what IN IT...
:P

Later,

Jeff C
:lol
Any good programmer knows, every large and/or small job, is equally large, to the programmer!

Retsim_X

i bought a textbook from an ammerican bookshop in brisban qld austrailia

its called the 80x86 IBM PC and compatible computers (vlumes i and ii)
assembly language  design and interfacing by muhammad ali mazidi

its mainly bassed on dos 32bit programming but has explinations on accsessing bios and direct memory io.

i leaned quite a bit from it.

i ended up writing a program to write to PIC microcontrollers to rogram them.
i also wrote a program to controll an electronic router.

mainly from the information in this book i highly recoment it to any beginner to intermediate level dos or basic register programmers

yours
Retsim_X