News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

tutorials on 16-bit

Started by ninjarider, August 04, 2005, 01:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ninjarider

is there any tutorials around that are about 16-bit programming.
i've been wanting to learn for a long time. but i can't understand how to setup a .asm file for 16-bit

Vortex

Peter.Hurrell

I believe that you will need a book which also serves as a handy reference for various techniques. 'Assembler inside out' (microsoft part number 35752) is one which seems very good. My old copy describes MASM before they added high level constructs (.IF,.WHILE etc.) so it really is the lowest level.
Remember if your using assembler it is for a specific type of CPU type in MASM its for 8086 up to Pentium. You will need to know the layout of registers etc also that a seperate Floating Point Unit  chip was needed in earlier cpu's but is incorporated into Pentium's.
Start off programming 8086 and deal with FPU and extra registers later!

GOOD LUCK

Xor Stance

http://www.whitetown.com/ng/index.php3?lang=0&what=1

Adam's tutorial its not complete to understand it, I haven't found any good tutorial for it but this one is recommended the most popular "Norton Guide to Assembler". Until now I found it... anyways I went back to 16-bits where you can handle more than 32-bits tuts. You'll need the NG viewer in programs, misc and C I know that old times rules!