News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

install on usb stick

Started by thomas_remkus, June 16, 2005, 01:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomas_remkus

I have a 1 gig usb stick that I want to install all my masm tools and projects and stuff. However the installation does now offer my the usb drive as an option. This is an advantage to me because I work on this at home and at the office and also a few other machines where I can not install the tools. What I have done is install masm and sp2 on my C drive and then copy the entire directory to the usb. Since all of my "makeit.bat" files are relative to "\masm32\..." everything works perfectly so far.

By making a copy of masm32 to the usb have a done something against the installed and I am actually missing something important? Like in system/system32?

thomas

Mark Jones

I don't believe so. You might want to check your environment variables, make sure that the \masm32\bin folder on the USB device is also in the path. (That assumes the USB stick is assigned a static, valid DOS-accessible drive letter of course.) :)
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

zooba

Thomas,

Should be okay, that's what I've done.

Just keep in mind that USB sticks don't last forever and your compile times will be MUCH slower from the stick than from a hard drive. I'd suggest setting up a batch file using the XCOPY command to copy to and from your stick before using it.

Mark,

Since he'll be changing computers often keeping track of the environment variables is hard. As long as all the paths are relative to location there should be no trouble.