News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Re-learning Assembler.

Started by Pebble, April 04, 2012, 12:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pebble

I need advice as to what is the best assembler/disasembler/monitor, And what book's i would need to learn assembly language.
I'm running windows 7 64 on an i7, But have'nt done any assembly programming since the day's of the z80 (speccy).

dedndave

hi Pebble - welcome to the forum

start by installing the masm32 package - the links are in the upper-right corner of the forum page
from what i can see, there aren't any great books for getting started in assembler, these days - lol
but, Randy Hyde's "Art of Assembly" will give you a lot of the basics
it's available in HTML...
http://www.arl.wustl.edu/~lockwood/class/cs306/books/artofasm/toc.html
chapters 1-6 and 15 - ignore most of the rest of it
i see that site is dead, this morning - it's usually quite fast

there are also the Intel and AMD programmers reference manuals, available in PDF

Iczelion's tutorials - the links are in the upper-right corner of the forum page

in the masm32 package, the help, tutorials, and examples

P1

Quote from: Pebble on April 04, 2012, 12:11:00 PM
I need advice as to what is the best assembler/disasembler/monitor, And what book's i would need to learn assembly language.
I'm running windows 7 64 on an i7, But have'nt done any assembly programming since the day's of the z80 (speccy).
Welcome to MASM32 forum !!!

Do you have any programming background to leverage for your jump to lightspeed ??? :toothy

Regards,  P1  :8)

pro3carp3

LGC

Pebble

Thank's for the replies, Decided to opt for MSAM.

Found a link for "Art of Assembly" in PDF  http://webster.cs.ucr.edu/AoA/DOS/pdf/0_AoAPDF.html

PauloH

I took the same path. MASM is the easier choice for you. Study the Iczellion tutorials and get a debugger (OllyDbg). You'll be fine with these studies.

SteveAsm

Quote from: Pebble on April 04, 2012, 12:11:00 PM
... But have'nt done any assembly programming since the day's of the z80 (speccy).

I'm quite fond of the Z80, as I'm sure a number of the 'old-timers' here are.
I bread-boarded a number of projects based on the Z80 and burned my own proms.
I'm sure I've got a half dozen or so boxed in my workshop.