News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

New guy on campus

Started by dbuckalew, December 09, 2011, 02:16:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbuckalew

Just joined wanted to say hello. I'm a computer science instructor at a community college, so I don't get to dabble with low-level stuff much and have had an interest in re-learning what I once knew about assembly programming. So, I'm re-new, I guess. Looking forward to learning from all of you!

dedndave

welcome to the forum   :U

if your previous experience is with 16-bit DOS code, try to forget all that and start from scratch - lol
that's where i am at
i can actually speak some 32-bit lingo, now   :bg

dbuckalew

Honestly, I only ever used asm in college, and I'm lucky enough not to remember the specifics. I get to start over with *some* knowledge of what it is like to program in asm but no preconceptions to really stand in my way of learning.

NoCforMe

Do you remember what "platform" (i.e., computer/operating system) you worked with assembly language on? I'm guessing X86/DOS, but I could be way off.

I came here to learn Windows assembly programming, having done a lot of DOS (16-bit) programming. I can say this about it (Win32): It's hard, and it's easy.

Easy because I haven't touched or even thought about a segment register (remember those?) since writing Windows programs.

Hard because it's easy to get into all kinds of interesting trouble with the Win32 API.

But overall, it's lots of fun. You should enjoy it once you get acclimated.

hutch--

Hi dbuckalew,

You will have a ton of fun with this stuff, more instructions, less restrictions and some genuine pace once you get the swing of it. Probably the hardest part is to get used to using the Windows API functions instead of the old DOS interrupts but its like getting out of a T model Ford and swapping it for an F16.  :P
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

Vortex

Hi dbuckalew,

Welcome to the Masm forum.

dbuckalew

NoCforMe: I don't remember. I'm sure it was x86, and I'm pretty sure it was DOS-based. But it's been so long, I can't say for sure. 

Quote from: NoCforMe on December 11, 2011, 04:33:14 AM
Do you remember what "platform" (i.e., computer/operating system) you worked with assembly language on? I'm guessing X86/DOS, but I could be way off.

I came here to learn Windows assembly programming, having done a lot of DOS (16-bit) programming. I can say this about it (Win32): It's hard, and it's easy.

Easy because I haven't touched or even thought about a segment register (remember those?) since writing Windows programs.

Hard because it's easy to get into all kinds of interesting trouble with the Win32 API.

But overall, it's lots of fun. You should enjoy it once you get acclimated.

dbuckalew

hutch--: I'm not even sure I have a project in mind that needs asm. I just like the idea of knowing more about the architecture and how it works. I guess that means that my first project will be to find a project that I can use to motivate my study of asm  :lol

Quote from: hutch-- on December 11, 2011, 05:43:54 AM
Hi dbuckalew,

You will have a ton of fun with this stuff, more instructions, less restrictions and some genuine pace once you get the swing of it. Probably the hardest part is to get used to using the Windows API functions instead of the old DOS interrupts but its like getting out of a T model Ford and swapping it for an F16.  :P

dbuckalew

raymond

Welcome to this forum dbuckalew.

Quoteto find a project that I can use to motivate my study of asm

If you like maths, you could always try to solve some of the first few problems at Project Euler using assembly.You could first start by working out your algo in some other HLL and then try to convert it to asm. When familiarized, you could then try others directly in asm. If you don't get addicted, you then move on to other project types.
http://projecteuler.net/index.php?

P.S. The linked site may be down for a few hours today for maintenance and upgrade.
When you assume something, you risk being wrong half the time
http://www.ray.masmcode.com

donkey

Welcome to the forum dbuckalew,

You'll find that there are few other places that have the members with enough experience to get you up to speed in assembly and how it interacts with the Windows API than here. We have some very sharp programmers here that are doing some interesting stuff, I would suggest that you watch for and study the code by Raymond, JJ2007, Vortex, Lingo, ToutEnMasm, MichaelW and RuiLoureiro all very talented programmers who bring a lot to the community, there are many others but these are the first few who come to mind (hope I haven't offended anyone through omission). At any rate hope you enjoy yourself and looking forward to any contributions you can make.
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

dbuckalew

Quote from: raymond on December 13, 2011, 08:18:23 PM
Welcome to this forum dbuckalew.

Quoteto find a project that I can use to motivate my study of asm

If you like maths, you could always try to solve some of the first few problems at Project Euler using assembly.You could first start by working out your algo in some other HLL and then try to convert it to asm. When familiarized, you could then try others directly in asm. If you don't get addicted, you then move on to other project types.
http://projecteuler.net/index.php?

P.S. The linked site may be down for a few hours today for maintenance and upgrade.

Thanks for that tip, raymond! That is just the kind of thing I was hoping to find.

dbuckalew

Quote from: donkey on December 13, 2011, 09:07:43 PM
Welcome to the forum dbuckalew,

You'll find that there are few other places that have the members with enough experience to get you up to speed in assembly and how it interacts with the Windows API than here. We have some very sharp programmers here that are doing some interesting stuff, I would suggest that you watch for and study the code by Raymond, JJ2007, Vortex, Lingo, ToutEnMasm, MichaelW and RuiLoureiro all very talented programmers who bring a lot to the community, there are many others but these are the first few who come to mind (hope I haven't offended anyone through omission). At any rate hope you enjoy yourself and looking forward to any contributions you can make.

donkey: Well, I'm sure you're right about the skills of the programmers around here and I'm sure I'll have a chance to take advantage of their knowledge. I do hope to contribute some day, but I imagine it'll be a little while before I know enough to help many people out  :bg At any rate, I will say that this has been one of the most welcoming forums for new members that I can remember participating in!

Twister

Hello, welcome!

Enjoy your stay.

dbuckalew

Thanks, Horton! I'm sure I will  :U

Quote from: Horton on December 14, 2011, 01:25:06 AM
Hello, welcome!

Enjoy your stay.