News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Tablets and netbooks,are they useful for doing programming?

Started by anunitu, July 01, 2011, 12:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anunitu

As the title says, has anyone done any real programming using tablets or netbooks?

Tedd

Tablets are nice toys, but I wouldn't want to type on one for any lengthy period.
A netbook might be better, as long as the keyboard isn't too small for your hands, and the 'extra' navigation keys aren't in awkward positions.
No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible.

clive

I've found the Acer Aspire One's (9" and 10")  to be quite adequate, not particularly fast, but cheap and convenient. Typically in the $200-$250 range. Usually the 3-cell versions at WalMart, you could pay more for a 6-cell, but some achieve that with a large/odd/awkward pack which kind of defeats the point of the small/compact form factor. I prefer them to laptop's as they are easy to toss in a bag, or palm in the hand. Using one of the older XP Home models right now. Runs editors, compilers and assemblers with ease.

The 1024x600 screen resolution can be cramping at times, though there are others with 1388x768, but they get more expensive. Personally I'd prefer some thing with a 1600x1200 or 1680x1280 type resolution.

The keyboards are fine, the multi-touch pad can get annoying, so I've had to turn off the features so things don't scroll/zoom randomly. Size isn't really a big issue, pretty much every laptop I've used has had a different keyboard setup, you get used to it. I've used small form-factor laptops for years, starting with some Compaq Aero, and Sony 505 type platforms. For larger ones typically 14-15" models. I usually shoot for ones in the $400-$500 range, mainly because I consider them delicate/breakable/steal-able, the $1500-$2000 ones do look pretty but are hard to justify.

Most new ones have Win7 Starter, 32-bit, 1GB, which might be an issue, mainly the lack of "Switch User" in our house. Throw some more money you can get 2GB 64-bit. I've looked at some nice AMD offering that have started to appear.

My boss likes the ASUS netbooks, but the build quality/robustness doesn't appear that good. The Samsung offerings look very nice. I saw a pretty good deal on a 6-cell one at Tesco's in the UK back in February, and my dad recently bought one, though I can't recall the exact model. Works well on campsites, and while travelling.

I'm not sold on Windows tablets. I have a nice B&N Colour Nook, ~$250, an Android tablet, really nice for surfing, email and playing angry birds.

Personally, I'd really want a keyboard to do development work.
It could be a random act of randomness. Those happen a lot as well.

zemtex

I seriously dont think tablets are good for programming. A netbook and conventional laptops can be used for programming. If you have a wireless network at home you can use your laptop to connect to a desktop computer where you usually do the programming and then do programming remotely. If you leave your coding editor, all help files and references files open on the desktop computer you simply just use remote desktop from the laptop, connect to it, then continue programming, even from your bed or from the shower.  :bdg

Just remember to open port 3389 on the desktop. The good part of using remote desktop is that your laptop doesnt need to be all that powerful as all the cpu processing happens on the desktop computer, all the laptop does is parse incoming graphical tiles and mouse movement. You could also just open the source files with standard file sharing and then save it on the network if you so desire.
I have been puzzling with lego bricks all my life. I know how to do this. When Peter, at age 6 is competing with me, I find it extremely neccessary to show him that I can puzzle bricks better than him, because he is so damn talented that all that is called rational has gone haywire.

daydreamer

actually am going to try get started with app programming on android phone in Java, doesnt that also apply on android touchpads as well?

Astro

I code on a netbook at it is fine! Only issue is the screen - I have a 1600x1200 on my desktop so 1024x600 gets a bit small, but it works!

Battery capacity is diminishing now (approx. 20% per year is lost with Li-Ion batteries), but I can still get 4 hours out of it comfortably (and that is using wireless, too). Nothing a new battery pack wouldn't fix though for all-day computing.  :dance:

I have the original Samsung NC-10. Better models have appeared since with more powerful dual-core processors and 9 hours battery. The N150 is great. Comes with Win 7 starter but drivers are easily avail for XP.

xanatose

Tablets are more for data input, reading, browsing and watch movies. (Altough for reading is better for your eyes to use something based on e-ink. ) Their strength is low weight, portability, battery life and speed of turning on/off. Thus, asumming that the forms are simple enough, they are great for data input in places where carrying a laptop or a netbook would be an inconvenience. For example a doctor in a hospital that wants to have its patient records at hand.

However, they are useless when content creation is necesary. This includes programming. 

For general programming, a desktop is the best solution specially where multimonitor is supported. Yes, you can do the same with a laptop, but is not the same experience. Also, if you choose a decent keyboard, your fingers will thank you.

For on the go programming, a laptop is the best. Mostly because of memory, procesor speed (and cores) and screen resolution.

A netbook is a compromise for when you do not want to carry too much weight or when size is a concern and you need something that is useful for content creation.

Each tool has its strengths and weaknesses.