News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Help with Path in Windows 7

Started by jbplaya, June 26, 2011, 03:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbplaya

Hey, newbie here to MASM32 (have had experience in NASM and GAS AT&T) and I for the life of me can't get any commands going on in MASM32 in the console. Every command I type is "'     ' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." I can't even get a simple debug command to work. I'm fairly experienced in Macs and Linux and a complete Newb to Windows 7 platform. I did some research online and I'm pretty sure there might be something wrong with my Path. My Path is :

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared

Does that look about right, or am I missing any directories. An answer sure would be appreciated. Thanks

dedndave

locate the cmd.exe file and make sure that folder is in the path
i use XP, and it is in C:\Windows\System32
i see that folder is in your path as %SystemRoot%\system32
make sure the SystemRoot environment variable is also set   :P

keep in mind that 16-bit programs will not run under windows 7 without some work-arounds

welcome to the forum   :U

EDIT
as a little speed-up, i would move the windows live folders to the end of the path variable

jj2007

Hi,

First of all: Welcome to the Forum :thumbu

Dave is a real expert here, but his advice might be a little overkill.

The Masm32 installation does not require any environment variables. Just follow the steps in the link of my signature to install the package, then use QEditor or RichMasm or even Notepad to write your first snippet, and off it goes.

If you still have problems, come back, and Dave, me, hutch and others will help you.

jbplaya

Like This?

C:%SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe;\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared

It doesn't seem to be working. I would move the windows live folder, but I don't know what I'm doing and I don't want to mess anything up.:eek

hutch--

JB,

I am not quite sure what you expect and I know its a pain shifting from one dev platform to another but your path is not the problem here. The MASM32 SDK is not designed to be accessible from anywhere on the machine as this may conflict wiith other development environments that different people have installed. It uses hard coded paths for its binaries specifically to keep it out of the path and environment variables.

As long as it installs properly without AV scanner interference or profile security settings, you should be able to test the installation using the default editor and any of the project files in the examples directory. If you want to access the assembler on the command line, you type out the full path so if its on drive E: you use "e:\masm32\bin\ml.exe /c /coff yourfile.asm".
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

dedndave

you do not want to specify files in the PATH variable - only folders
remove the "\cmd.exe" part, and move the windows live folders to the end of the string, like this...

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SsytemRoot%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live

when windows looks for a program, it starts by looking in the current folder
then, it looks in the folders listed in the PATH variable, in the order they are listed
so, it is best to keep system32 first in the PATH
you have not added the masm32 folder - i assume it has not been installed
if you do install it, do so in the root of whichever drive you like, then add the masm32\bin folder to the PATH
i usually place it as the second or third folder in the list

also - make sure CMD.EXE is in the C:\Windows\System32 folder